Woman, 73, shot dead by police during training exercise

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"A police officer accidentally shot dead a 73-year-old woman during a firearms training exercise.
13315449_1750944145128575_8815202126071736774_n.jpg
Mary Knowlton was one of two members of the public taking part in a community event in Florida last night. The exercise, during which Ms Knowlton played the victim, was designed to help people make decisions on when to use lethal force.

Ms Knowlton, a librarian, was accidentally shot with live ammunition by a police playing the ‘bad guy’ in the exercise. She later died in Lee Memorial Hospital.

Punta Gorda Police have not yet released the identity of the officer or any further details of the circumstances in which Ms Knowlton was killed.

‘I am devastated for everyone involved in this unimaginable event,’ said Police Chief Tom Lewis.

‘If you pray, please pray for Mary’s family, and for the officers involved. Everyone involved in this accident is in a state of overwhelming shock and grief.’

Thirty-five members of the public were taking part in the two-hour event.

The officer involved is on administrative leave."

Source

Thoughts?

APS

Unarmed
A training exercise using live ammo ?
Someone's head needs to roll.

South Of Heaven

It scares me that people who can be this incompetent are in charge of law enforcement.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Not only should no live ammo have been allowed, today, there are 'light guns' and target vests (think 'laser tag') that CAN NOT be lethal and yet still handle and sight like the real thing.

Whoever was in charge of the event should spend a long time in the Hotel Graybar.

Top Bottom