Violent video games

SwishUK

But then you could argue that movies cause it too and tv shows. It’s just an excuse used for years. Thing is parents let their 8 year old play GTA. But that doesn’t mean that 8 year old will grow up and run over hookers.

Kaunisto

Yeah, it's games... no, I mean movies, violent movies. Wait, wasn't it rap music? Now I remember, it's comics, comics make children criminals.

Seriously speaking, there are tens (maybe even hundreds) of millions people playing shooting games in the world. If they had a considerable effect - which numerous studies say they don't - I think we'd be seeing more dramatic results than currently.

Also, those of us old enough to remember life before video games, think of what little boys (and occasional girl) used to play outdoors (or indoors when mother wasn't stopping them). Whether it was cops and robbers or cowboys and indians or war, whether you had actual toy guns or just piece of branch (at school recess)... we played shooting each other! Pointing fake guns at each other, pretending to kill and die.
Are games much different from that?

One more argument, not a very strong one, but one I want to mention. I would imagine majority of these shooters have lots of experience of guns, they've spend time of shooting range. This is just my opinion, but if I went shooting once a week or two - not unimaginable if I had couple buddies to do it with - I think that'd take away some of my interest on shooting games. Sure I wouldn't quit altogether, but I'd certainly cut down if real guns were my hobby.
Same as I wouldn't play as much racing games if I did some sort of real racing.

Beaky

blah
just another attempt that the right are making to try control everyone

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
just another attempt that the right are making to try control everyone

Of course it is only one side that is trying to control everything.

Nevermind the fact that Tipper Gore led that crusade for ages.

Regulating violent video games: It’s Tipper Gore versus Dee Snider all over again

DrLeftover

@DrLeftover: Do you agree violent video games are associated with the rise in mass shootings? (Why/Why Not)
I agree with Kaunisto.

You can blame video games, music videos, football practice, Chinese food, bad luck, evil spirits.

The bottom line is, blaming the games, blaming the guns, blaming Trump.... does exactly NOTHING to solve the problem.

factoverstigma

absolutely i do not blame video games. it is a much more complex problem with multiple aspects affecting a person that brings them to carry out disgustingly heinous acts. i play tons of video games, very violent ones, and i do not go out and shoot up malls or fairs or movie theaters. how do these idiot politicians explain that? what about the millions and millions of other gamers who are like me, who play violent video games (or vg's in general) who don't go out and shoot up huge crowds of people? there is no science that backs the claim, so you can't explain it. the true explanation is there is little to no correlation between people who play violent video games who also end up carrying out mass shootings

TRUE LIBERTY

Let’s see you have a society where 78% of the black population will never know their dads. The family structure is in shambles across America. Morals are out the door and parents aren’t teaching it, schools certainly aren’t teaching it. But every kid is a winner and when they get older they are not mentally ready for the real world. So you have violent video games, violent movies and a society all around them showing no humanity. The video game is one thing of several in the puzzle that creates a violent person that goes into society and hurts people.

Trump is right he is just not very good at giving details as to why it’s part of the problem. If we had a normal society enjoying a video game or movie wouldn’t be a issue.

SwishUK

1555D56E-8F33-48E3-9DD6-B3020A74E5F5.jpeg

Obviously I know it doesn’t just happen in America. But it does seem like more is happening there compared to other Western Countries. Just found this to be spot on.

DrLeftover

View attachment 13647

Obviously I know it doesn’t just happen in America. But it does seem like more is happening there compared to other Western Countries. Just found this to be spot on.
So then explain this:

(quoted)
  • Updated: 19 Aug 2019

LONDON'S knife epidemic has reached unprecedented levels and there have been 86 deaths in the capital since the start of 2019.

Last year was London's bloodiest in a decade - when the number of homicides reached 132 - and it shows no signs of abating.
(end quote)

And

4 stabbings, a baseball bat beating and armed police standoff in violent weekend in London
Three men have been left fighting for their lives while others were seriously injured

SwishUK

Explain what exactly? I said they are happening more over there. You can not deny that!

Beaky

blah
over a billion gamers playing games if games were the problem the violent crime ratio would be alot higher than it is WORLDWIDE

Icetex

More or less blaming video games have been always escape goat and a distraction for years and have been debunked countless times

Olmeca

I wouldn't believe Trump if he said the sky was blue. Its time to stop blaming violent video games for the actions that people take. I love me a violent video game but that does that mean I'm gonna turn violent?

Hell No.

TRUE LIBERTY

So then explain this:

(quoted)
  • Updated: 19 Aug 2019

LONDON'S knife epidemic has reached unprecedented levels and there have been 86 deaths in the capital since the start of 2019.

Last year was London's bloodiest in a decade - when the number of homicides reached 132 - and it shows no signs of abating.
(end quote)

And

4 stabbings, a baseball bat beating and armed police standoff in violent weekend in London
Three men have been left fighting for their lives while others were seriously injured

Don’t forget the mass acid attacks.

TRUE LIBERTY

More or less blaming video games have been always escape goat and a distraction for years and have been debunked countless times
It’s never been debunked if you closely read there evidence, they just don’t give the full facts of the problem as I mentioned above.

SwishUK

There aren’t mass acid attacks! That would be many people in one incident many times over would be targeted. That have been individual cases of acid attacks. You can turn the tables as much as you like, issue is, you have mass gun attacks very often in the states. Stop deflecting.

Top Bottom