Video Game Collecting

PGen98

Does anybody here actively collect video games?

I've been collecting from quite a young age, and so have managed to put together a fairly decent collection of around 40 consoles and handhelds, and roughly 2,500 games spread across those systems. It's not about ego or amassing the rarest, most expensive games, but about having that nostalgia feeling, that tie back to your childhood and going back to pick any game off of the shelf and knowing you're going to have fun with it. I love that feeling! It makes for a fun experience every time I sit down to play a game, whether it's for the NES, the Sega Saturn or even today's Xbox or PlayStation releases.

Does anyone else here collect games? What's your go-to console and/or game?

Kaunisto

Only figuratively. I still have my old Master System and a dozen games and cousin's old PS2 (I got couple years ago). And have bought a couple PS1 games to play on emulator.
Other than that I'm just gathering from flea market whatever PC games I can get for peanuts. Got couple hundred and some.

PGen98

Only figuratively. I still have my old Master System and a dozen games and cousin's old PS2 (I got couple years ago). And have bought a couple PS1 games to play on emulator.
Other than that I'm just gathering from flea market whatever PC games I can get for peanuts. Got couple hundred and some.
That's collecting, for sure. Are you a big box PC game fan, or literally any PC game from any era? One of my favourite collectors on YouTube is really into big box PC games, particularly any put out by Sierra, because he used to work for them, and he's amassed a very impressive collection!

Kaunisto

I do like old boxes, but don't think I've gotten any for a decade now - as I'm just picking something to play from my small town flea markets.
I have about three dozen big boxes, but less than half originals.

Straight from beginning of video, I can see The Dig (mine's not shiny, maybe that's a special edition) and Curse of Monkey Island of the ones I have.
0:35 there's the D&D gold box games, I have one of those, Pools of Darkness (possibly the oldest PC game I have - oldest as physical copy I have, there are older games in collected editions)
3:10 I have the regular version of WC3 and that's one of my 5 biggest boxes (18:58 oddly it doesn't look so big there)
12:40 I'm just now replaying XIII - I got it (DVD case) and played it ten years ago and I'm currently doing a sort of anniversary run; I also read some books more of the comic this year
I have many of those Star Wars games, but none of the as original (except maybe E1 Racer, would have to dig it out).
20:30 also played Outlaws this year just same as XIII, ten years after I got it - actually I also played The Dig this year, similarly as 15th anniversary (I'm big on keeping lists on when I've gotten stuff and celebrating anniversaries)
28:50 over twenty years ago, I skipped opportunity to buy Blade Runner (because I didn't have computer that could run it at the time and the price was around 25$ - more than I've ever since seen asked for a single game on flea market) and I'm still kicking myself!

Lots of other (one way or other) familiar stuff, those were just the highlights.
Also I noticed Nocturne there, interesting little game I got some years back.
I have to go through the next video later.

Kaunisto

Allow me to continue.

All my boxes are just literally boxes, rectangular, don't have anything unusually shaped.
11:10 Nocturne that I mentioned above (don't have box version)
28:10 another random game that I happened to get and play some years back; I do like it, you can see there were ambitious ideas and lack of budget to realize them, but... it has atmosphere
Have to say this video incredibly missed almost everything that I have or have played. Couple here and there I didn't mention (like Tomb Raider II) and various I've played a demo of (back when there were CDs with magazines), most of this I've never touched in all my years. A reminder of how many games are out there.

Top Bottom