UKIP MEP wants to charge prisoners £40,000 a year in law and order crackdown

K

Kid B

Read story...

Bill Etheridge also wants "all luxuries" to be removed from jails like electronic devices, and keep prisoners locked up unable to leave their cells during their first six months behind bars.

The Worcestershire MEP, who is trying to replace Nigel Farage as next UKIP leader, says the radical policies will put criminals off reoffending and help pay towards the costs for dealing with Britain's burgeoning 85,000-strong prison population.
Considering that poverty is one of the main drivers of criminal behaviour, this is a really stupid idea. Maybe Mr. Etheridge should consider taking up politics. Oh hang on...

APS

Unarmed
Keep them locked in their cells for first 6 months ?
That guy is 2 cans short of a 6 pack :)

K

Kid B

Keep them locked in their cells for first 6 months ?
Should do wonders for the suicide rate.

UKIP steps up search for new bellend

UKIP is to accelerate its leadership election to fill the bellend void left by Nigel Farage.

The party wants to quickly appoint a git, or possibly even an arse, or face losing the support of Britain’s utter bellends to the reinvigorated Conservative Party.

One of the front-runners is councillor Lisa Duffy, described by various members of the party faithful as ‘who?’ and ‘the Gordon Brown one?’.

The current favourite with bookmakers is Steven Woolfe, viewed as the ‘acceptable face’ of UKIP by people with incredibly low standards.

Whoever becomes leader will have to decide why the party now needs to exist, with many feeling that they should be more vocal on the subject of ghastly foreign cheeses.

Former leader Nigel Farage resigned last month so he could spend more time being one of the reasons people do not go to pubs any more.
:LOL:

R

Rinko

I do agree with the removal of privileges. I do not believe prisoners should be allowed luxuries such as TVs or gaming systems. They exist for entertainment purposes and I do not believe prison is a place one should be entertained in.

The monetary aspect, as already mentioned, is foolish. If the prison service wants to monetize prisoners, a better way would be to run some kind of work scheme where any wages the prisoner would earn are given directly to the prison service. A £40,000 payment per year will do nothing but cripple prisoners and make their lives impossible to live once they serve their time. And so they'll turn to crime, and return to prison, and the cycle starts over.

Being locked in their cells I'm indifferent about.

K

Kid B

A £40,000 payment per year will do nothing but cripple prisoners and make their lives impossible to live once they serve their time.
Apparently it would only be aimed at those who actually have £40k or more and so in effect, just another tax on the rich.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
OK. How many of the long term guests at Her Majesty's Hotel Graybar have that kind of money laying around?

Meaningless Posturing by a Politician.

Top Bottom