UK weather: Heatwave makes way for storms and heavy downpours

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
The blistering heat of the warmest day of the year so far is set to make way for heavy downpours, as storm clouds make their way across much of the UK.

Tuesday saw Britain swelter in temperatures which peaked at 33.5C (92.3F) in Brize Norton, making it hotter than Barcelona.

Despite being in the midst of a heatwave, the Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning for severe thunderstorms, large hail and strong winds which could lead to flash flooding of homes, businesses and transport networks.

The warning has been issued across all regions other than south-west England, London and south-east England.

It states that hot, moist air spreading north and north-east is expected to produce thunder storms, with some places seeing around 30mm of rainfall in an hour, and more than 50mm in a few hours.

The warning says: ‘Whilst most places will miss the worst, please be aware of the risk of localised flash flooding.

‘Frequent lightning, large hail and strong winds could be additional hazards.

Any of you in the regions that will be getting this storm?

APS

Unarmed
I think if the forecast is accurate we will avoid it in Birmingham.
I would like the temps to drop a bit though.

Ghoul

I think if the forecast is accurate we will avoid it in Birmingham.
I would like the temps to drop a bit though.
Should miss Coventry as well. It'd like the temperatures to drop a bit too cos it's hella muggy.

Reactions: APS

South Of Heaven

Should miss Coventry as well. It'd like the temperatures to drop a bit too cos it's hella muggy.
I haven't checked lately but Stratford isn't that far from Coventry so if Ghoul is supposed to miss it I hope we will too.

APS

Unarmed
Never even got a hint of storms and it's still red hot now.

APS

Unarmed
Ok I would be happy for this heat to drop about 5c now.

South Of Heaven

It says it's 25c here but thankfully there is a much appreciated breeze at the moment.

@APS maybe consider trimming some of that fur off?

Reactions: APS

APS

Unarmed
At 01am this morning I was out the front of the house talking to 3 of my neighbours.
We were all trying to catch the breeze :)

Aura

23 degress here yesterday. Was not to bad spent most of the day outside. Glad it cooled down a bit, the last few days have been hell.

Top Bottom