This doughnut shop has come under fire

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
Pip’s Original Doughnuts & Chai in Northeast Portland, US, has posted one hell of an eye-catching job advertisement.

Referring to the vacancy as being the ‘best job in Portland’, the shop have offered the potential employee 4pm finishes so that they can ‘have a life’, three days off a week, $12-$13 (£9 to £10) entry wage plus tips and an extra $30 (£23) to give to charity each paycheck.

Oh, and they pay double-time if you come in to cover someone else’s shift.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? Well it is… if you’re a vegan. Or have any non-medical issues eating certain foods that are sold in the shop.

In the ‘Basic requirements’ section of the advertisement, the shop wrote: ‘No non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions that would stop you from tasting, accurately representing our food and maintaining quality control to maintain the highest standards of food safety and excellence.

‘We serve products with meat (including bacon) nuts, dairy and our doughnuts contain wheat gluten.’

And basically, people are seriously angry.

Many vegans and vegetarians have left comments of disgust on the shop’s Facebook page.

One said: ‘To not hire otherwise qualified workers because they make a particular dietary choice is unfair.

In an interview with KGW, owner of the shop, Nate Snell, explained the reasoning behind the job requirements.

‘I want people who are passionate about what they sell. If you can’t eat it, how can you be passionate about it?’ he said.

‘If the employee was to say something like “well, I don’t eat meat or I don’t eat gluten, or I don’t eat nuts or dairy,” any one of those things would preclude them from being able to give you an honest answer of what that tastes like or how good it is.’

Do you think this is discrimination? (Why/Why Not)

Dee

I can understand the idea of not wanting to hire someone not qualified to do the job well (meaning not being passionate about what you sell), but they're not going about this in the right way. This is discrimination only because they're refusing to hire someone who is strictly vegan or has dietary issues and for no other reason (unless in this case they don't want people to work in a place where they could get physically sick if they did eat something they were allergic to). They're not even giving people a chance to prove they can do the job.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Bottom line is that if you're not qualified to do the job as specified by the employer, then it's not discrimination.

beowulf

so they are moaning cos they are being discriminated against for a job they wouldnt take anyway?????

good grief

Top Bottom