• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

The Islamophobia That Led To The Christchurch Shootings Must Be Confronted

Webster

The Guardian: The Islamophobia that led to the Christchurch shooting must be confronted

HA Hellyer is a senior associate fellow at the Royal United Services Institute and the Atlantic Council, and the author of Muslims of Europe: the ‘Other’ Europeans
--Do not be under any illusion. The attacks against Muslims in New Zealand cannot be swept under the carpet by claiming that the suspect is an isolated actor or a disturbed individual. From what I have seen, the threat is far more serious than that – and the responsibility for facing up to it falls on all of us. The kind of Islamophobia that appears to have driven these killings goes far beyond some radicalised individual. It’s a thread that runs throughout the west – and we must confront it, now.

The temptation is going to be to declare the suspect, who livestreamed himself on Facebook shooting dozens of Muslims while they gathered for Friday prayer, a madman. It would be comforting to think so. Because then we could put aside any recognition that the discourse he appears to have bought into, evident from the manifesto he posted a link to on his now-deleted Twitter account, goes far beyond simply him.

But that would be a mistake. The themes of that manifesto – that Muslims are invaders, intent on replacing the white majority in Europe and the west – are indelibly linked to others on the far right, such as Anders Breivik, who went on his own murderous rampage in 2011 in Norway. But it has a long pedigree in western societies and is not restricted to the political fringes.

After the 7 July bombings happened in London in 2005, I was appointed as deputy convenor of a UK government working group on radicalisation to look at precisely which factors led to people becoming swept up in extremism. We examined the role of ideas and ideology, and concluded that they played a significant part – that we could not simply cast aside the importance of extremist discourse and dogma. There were, and are, other factors: political dissent, exclusion, and so on – but it would be wrong to minimise the extent to which ideas energised people, and provided their rationalisation for violent acts.

By the same token, it would be outrageous to fail to recognise that the unbridled, nativistic, anti-Muslim bigotry that has become so widespread in our societies has nothing to do with this attack in New Zealand. New Zealand is a part of the west. And, as far as the manifesto is concerned, the west writ large is subject to a Muslim invasion. That sentiment is not limited to a far-right extremist with a gun in a mosque, killing Muslim worshippers. It is popularised by scores of people in far more mainstream arenas.

Every time some far-right populist promotes the idea that Muslims are a threat to our civilisation, this feeds into a climate in which the views espoused by the manifesto are seen as less extreme. And every time we deny the threat of anti-Muslim bigotry, or underestimate the extent of Islamophobia – including in our party of government, the Conservative party – we give succour to those in our society who seek to whip up hate against our Muslim communities.

Today is Friday. It is the day of the week when Muslims will gather all around the world in communitarian prayer. Many of them in the west will be fearful after seeing the news, worried that this attack may herald a new, ongoing threat to their safety. We have to make sure they know they are not alone. That wider society will stand by them. That we see them not as Muslim communities transplanted into the west, but as Muslim communities of the west. They are part of us, and we of them. If we do otherwise, and we allow this event to pass us by without recognising the ideas that propelled it, then it is only a matter of time before it is repeated.
....thoughts?

factoverstigma

i am saddened to see this happen...again. unfortunately i know it will happen again and again as long as human beings exist on this planet. we are feeble, weak-minded creatures who often cannot look past our differences and accept and respect them. it leads to hideous shit like this. i just hope they either lock these people up for the rest of their natural lives or do away with them completely. people like this do not need to be in society

TRUE LIBERTY

Well first it’s amazing they have strict gun control and here we are with 49 dead still! How confusing? Imagine that a person with mental issues finds a way!

Second if you take the time to read his manifesto he specifically says he isn’t a conservative but a eco fascist I believe was the words used. So how the media came up with right wing extremist is some funny crap!

factoverstigma

Well first it’s amazing they have strict gun control and here we are with 49 dead still! How confusing? Imagine that a person with mental issues finds a way!

Second if you take the time to read his manifesto he specifically says he isn’t a conservative but a eco fascist I believe was the words used. So how the media came up with right wing extremist is some funny crap!
the ideology encompasses both environmentalism and white supremacy as well. you just used the term facist, which in and of itself is defined as being radicalized, right-winged, and heavily authoritarian. it focuses on a step above nationalism to the point where forcibly suppressing those who oppose the ideology is acceptable and necessary, and therefore leads to horrendous acts like these. take out the ones who dont support the idea because they think they're the ones to 'play god'

i see nothing but hypocrisy in your comment because youre using terms i dont think you quite understand entirely

Webster

Eco-fascist my ass....

Quoting from the article...
Images from the gunman’s camera showed weapons and ammunition displaying white-supremacist symbols, including the names of a Swedish child killed in a lorry attack in 2017 and a man hailed for defeating Muslims in an eighth-century battle.

One ammunition clip had the words “For Rotherham”, in an apparent reference to child grooming gangs in the UK town.

In a 74-page document posted online, Tarrant said he wanted to create “an atmosphere of fear” against Muslims and claimed the Norwegian white supremacist and mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik had given his “blessing” to the atrocity.

The document calls for the targeting of Sadiq Khan, mayor of London, along with the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and the Turkish leader, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Describing himself as a “regular white man from a regular family” who “decided to take a stand to ensure a future for my people”, Tarrant said he wanted his attack to send a message that “nowhere in the world is safe”.
@TRUE LIBERTY, does that look like something an eco-fascist would do?

TRUE LIBERTY

Eco-fascist my ass....

Quoting from the article...@TRUE LIBERTY, does that look like something an eco-fascist would do?

Read his manifesto he was a lover of the Chinese communists also and called himself a eco facist. So yes! You can say my ass all you want but that’s what he believes.

What he did sounds like something exactly what a eco facist would do. His manifesto shows this guy was the mother of all mixed nuts.

TRUE LIBERTY

the ideology encompasses both environmentalism and white supremacy as well. you just used the term facist, which in and of itself is defined as being radicalized, right-winged, and heavily authoritarian. it focuses on a step above nationalism to the point where forcibly suppressing those who oppose the ideology is acceptable and necessary, and therefore leads to horrendous acts like these. take out the ones who dont support the idea because they think they're the ones to 'play god'

i see nothing but hypocrisy in your comment because youre using terms i dont think you quite understand entirely
I don’t need learn anything I’m just going off of his manifesto that he explains exactly who he is. He specifically says he hates and isn’t for all to read. And it ain’t right wing. Go read it and tell the press to also.

TRUE LIBERTY

He is right wing about as much as I am likely to vote democrat. From his own words:

“I mostly agree with Sir Oswald Mosley’s views and consider myself an eco-fascist. The nation with the closest political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.”

Here is mixed nuts commies manifesto, someone actually read it and show me otherwise in his writing.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
Here's a good example of how the Liberals eat their own:

(quoted)
Students blasted Chelsea Clinton at a vigil at New York University for the 49 worshipers massacred at two New Zealand mosques, claiming the former first daughter “stoked” the hatred that fueled the slaughter.

“This right here is the result of a massacre stoked by people like you and the words that you put out into the world,” senior student Leen Dweik chided Clinton Friday night, according to a video posted to social media. “The 49 people died because of the rhetoric you put out there, added Dweik — who was wearing a Bernie Sanders 2020 t-shirt.

“I’m so sorry you feel that way,” Clinton, who is pregnant with her third child, responded, prompting other students to chime in.

“What does ‘I’m sorry you feel that way’ mean? What does that mean?” a person shouts from the crowd.
(end quote)

MORE:

factoverstigma

Here's a good example of how the Liberals eat their own:

(quoted)
Students blasted Chelsea Clinton at a vigil at New York University for the 49 worshipers massacred at two New Zealand mosques, claiming the former first daughter “stoked” the hatred that fueled the slaughter.

“This right here is the result of a massacre stoked by people like you and the words that you put out into the world,” senior student Leen Dweik chided Clinton Friday night, according to a video posted to social media. “The 49 people died because of the rhetoric you put out there, added Dweik — who was wearing a Bernie Sanders 2020 t-shirt.

“I’m so sorry you feel that way,” Clinton, who is pregnant with her third child, responded, prompting other students to chime in.

“What does ‘I’m sorry you feel that way’ mean? What does that mean?” a person shouts from the crowd.
(end quote)

MORE:

anyone who echos the sentiment of hatred for other skin colors, religions, or just downright prejudice against a person for who they are and not their actions needs to be condemned. i dont care if they are republican, democrat, conservative, liberal, middle-of-the-road. it doesn't matter. if you beget or echo disgusting vitriol like the shooter did, you are compromised and need to be shunned, done away with. that is unacceptable in any part of this global community and it has no place in society

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Read his manifesto he was a lover of the Chinese communists also and called himself a eco facist.
A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings left a manifesto, saying he was a racist who had been planning the attack for two years. His weapon was covered in white-supremacist graffiti.

In his lengthy manifesto, the gunman said he was first pushed toward violence while touring Europe in 2017 after an Uzbek man drove a truck into a crowd of people in Stockholm, killing five people, including an 11-year-old Swedish girl.

He said his desire for violence grew when he arrived in France, where he became enraged by the sight of immigrants in the cities and towns he visited.

He said New Zealand, far from Europe, was not the “original choice for attack,” but described it as “target rich of an environment as anywhere else in the West."

The dossier, which was described by Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison as a "work of hate," hailed Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose."

He said he was carrying out the attacks, "to directly reduce immigration rates to European lands by intimidating and physically removing the invaders themselves."

Webster

A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings left a manifesto, saying he was a racist who had been planning the attack for two years. His weapon was covered in white-supremacist graffiti.

In his lengthy manifesto, the gunman said he was first pushed toward violence while touring Europe in 2017 after an Uzbek man drove a truck into a crowd of people in Stockholm, killing five people, including an 11-year-old Swedish girl.

He said his desire for violence grew when he arrived in France, where he became enraged by the sight of immigrants in the cities and towns he visited.

He said New Zealand, far from Europe, was not the “original choice for attack,” but described it as “target rich of an environment as anywhere else in the West."

The dossier, which was described by Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison as a "work of hate," hailed Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose."

He said he was carrying out the attacks, "to directly reduce immigration rates to European lands by intimidating and physically removing the invaders themselves."

Like I said earlier, Liberty, does that - points to above - look like the work of an eco-fascist?

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Read it not what others are writing like above
Not going to waste my time reading it and here's why:

"In short, everything in the Christchurch shooter’s manifesto is what the Christchurch shooter wants us to know about him. Like Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber who killed three people and injured 23 others in a nationwide bombing campaign from the 1970s to the 1990s, or even Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf, published in 1925, the point of these manifestos is not to be factual or realistic about the inner worlds of their authors. In Mein Kampf, Hitler portrays himself as a talented artist and lover of architecture. In Kaczynski’s manifesto, he portrays himself as a man profoundly concerned about the material problems of industrial society. Manifestos aren’t honest. Manifestos are for mass consumption." (Source)

Webster

Yes, according to what his own manifesto says. Read it not what others are writing like above
Yeah, I read enough of it to spot all the hallmarks of white nationalism, white supremacy and anti-Islamic sentiment sprinkled all throughout it, from the references to "white nationalism" to referring to Muslims as "invaders" to citing the 732 victory in Tours by Charles Martel agst. a Muslim army in Western Europe....I could keep going, Liberty, but I'm going to stop 'lest the staff have to step in and gig me for what I'd like to say...

factoverstigma

i think everyone should watch the video of him walking through that mosque and mowing down innocent people, people anywhere from two years old to sixty years old. unfortunately, i was sent the link and watched only a small bit before having to turn it off. it is absolutely disgusting. this man drives down to the mosque like its any other day, opens his trunk, grabs his guns covered in white supremacist symbols, and waltzes in there SPRAYING bullets like he is god. he claims the lives of so many innocent people and you can hear the injured and the dying moaning, whimpering, and calling out for help. it is sickening and our country does not do its citizens any justice by skimping out on showing us just how disgusting these acts are. we are TRULY sheltered from this, but if you saw it right before your eyes you might think a little differently

TRUE LIBERTY

Yeah, I read enough of it to spot all the hallmarks of white nationalism, white supremacy and anti-Islamic sentiment sprinkled all throughout it, from the references to "white nationalism" to referring to Muslims as "invaders" to citing the 732 victory in Tours by Charles Martel agst. a Muslim army in Western Europe....I could keep going, Liberty, but I'm going to stop 'lest the staff have to step in and gig me for what I'd like to say...
He was so sick he didn’t know what he quite hated. But what is clear is like the liberal U.S. media was trying to portray this lefty wasn’t a conservative. But he did make that very clear he in his manifesto.

Quote: “I was a communist, then an anarchist and finally a libertarian before becoming an eco-fascist,” he wrote.

TRUE LIBERTY

i think everyone should watch the video of him walking through that mosque and mowing down innocent people, people anywhere from two years old to sixty years old. unfortunately, i was sent the link and watched only a small bit before having to turn it off. it is absolutely disgusting. this man drives down to the mosque like its any other day, opens his trunk, grabs his guns covered in white supremacist symbols, and waltzes in there SPRAYING bullets like he is god. he claims the lives of so many innocent people and you can hear the injured and the dying moaning, whimpering, and calling out for help. it is sickening and our country does not do its citizens any justice by skimping out on showing us just how disgusting these acts are. we are TRULY sheltered from this, but if you saw it right before your eyes you might think a little differently
No thanks I got enough of seeing that from the Orlando terrorist.

TRUE LIBERTY

Not going to waste my time reading it and here's why:

"In short, everything in the Christchurch shooter’s manifesto is what the Christchurch shooter wants us to know about him. Like Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber who killed three people and injured 23 others in a nationwide bombing campaign from the 1970s to the 1990s, or even Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf, published in 1925, the point of these manifestos is not to be factual or realistic about the inner worlds of their authors. In Mein Kampf, Hitler portrays himself as a talented artist and lover of architecture. In Kaczynski’s manifesto, he portrays himself as a man profoundly concerned about the material problems of industrial society. Manifestos aren’t honest. Manifestos are for mass consumption." (Source)
And that is everything about them, this is how the FBI got a full profile on the unabomber and eventually caught him.

Aura

Ocean Soul
He DID NOT have white supremacy symbols on the gun, he had Norse pagan symbols, more specifically Runes. They are NOT facist symbols, but used by them. Many Asatru groups have spoken up that we do not condone this.

Top Bottom