Terminator Genisys (2015)

Howard

3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 6 Votes
Title: Terminator Genisys

Tagline: Reset the future

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Thriller, Adventure

Director: Alan Taylor

Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi, Matt Smith, Courtney B. Vance, Lee Byung-hun, Michael Gladis, Sandrine Holt, Wayne Bastrup, Gregory Alan Williams, Otto Sanchez, Matty Ferraro, Griff Furst, Aaron V. Williamson, Seth Meriwether, Afemo Omilami, Teri Wyble, Kerry Cahill, Mark Adam, Kerry O'Malley, Willa Taylor, James Moses Black, Terry Dale Parks, Douglas Smith, Anthony Michael Frederick, Brandon Stacy, Brett Azar, Douglas M. Griffin, Ernest Wells

Release: 2015-06-23

Runtime: 125

Plot: The year is 2029. John Connor, leader of the resistance continues the war against the machines. At the Los Angeles offensive, John's fears of the unknown future begin to emerge when TECOM spies reveal a new plot by SkyNet that will attack him from both fronts; past and future, and will ultimately change warfare forever.

April

Resident Readaholic
I love this movie. :D It was interesting how they incorporated the little twist in the original story and the surprises in the plot that I wasn't expecting at all. I think the cast did brilliantly in portraying the old characters from the 80's as well!

JHG

For me, this ruined Terminator. Alan Taylor must be hung, drawn and quartered!

Webster

I'm of two minds here....on the one hand, this was a pretty decent film, all around....a nice reboot of the franchise. OTOH, ever since Terminator 2, the franchise timeline has been shot into about a 1,000 different pieces.

Nathan

Its an enjoyable movie for the most part. I'd love if they put a little less cgi into it.

Webster

Its an enjoyable movie for the most part. I'd love if they put a little less cgi into it.
They actually did that in the first two films, Nathan; in Terminator, most of the graphics are live-action; in T2, mostly CGI....but it wasn't until Salvation that it was almost entirely CGI.

D

DaveM

They actually did that in the first two films, Nathan; in Terminator, most of the graphics are live-action; in T2, mostly CGI....but it wasn't until Salvation that it was almost entirely CGI.
Well I am glad that I never watched these ones then.

Kaunisto

Finally saw it last night.

I've always thought first is better than second. Third annoyed me, but I've gotten used to it. Fourth is a kind of nice try (for plot/subject), but the action is simply boring. So IMO so far each had been worse than the earlier ones.

I'd say Genisys competes with T3. As independent film Genisys is more entertaining (and less annoying) and has better action. But as part of the total series it may be the worst because it makes such absolute mess of the time travel logic.
Plot holes/problems I have with Genisys:
- who/how/when send Pops and/or the terminator he stopped in Sarah's childhood? Wait, I may have just figured this out... the changed John kills troops around him to gain control of the time machine and sends one terminator to 1973 and then (apparently knowing it didn't work) himself to 20??; after that humans have the time machine again to send Pops back. OK, that works, more or less.
(Actually T2 and T3 have the same problem: if sending the original terminator was Skynet's last desperate trick just as it was losing, how was it able send other, even better terminator after that?)
- where did the terminator/Skynet that attacked John come from? Until then everything had happened according the original timeline (and I'm assuming that's where we were until his appearance).
- Pops had knowledge and ability to build time machine? Oh well, back to my theory above: after "John" has left, Skynet is gone and humans have all the time in the world to prepare Pops as well as possible for absolutely anything before sending him back.
- so, they couldn't be sure whether to go to 1997 or 2017. I would've played safe and taken the earlier date. Because if Judgement Day did happen 1997, they'd be pretty embarrassed arriving to 2017. On the other hand at 1997, if nothing happens, they could just wait and prepare for twenty years. Also, going to 2017, they could've given themselves a few weeks more time...
- while in the context of Terminator phrase "stretches credibility" is hard to apply, Pops surviving in the end was kind of stupid
- now we are stuck in in timeline where T2, T3, T:S and most of the original film never happened. This is why I hate the 2009 Star Trek.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Top Bottom