• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Teachers stage a walkout after Muslim pupil refuses to shake female teacher’s hand

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
Teachers at a school in Germany staged a walkout after a pupil refused to shake hands with a female member of staff.

The Muslim schoolboy said he couldn’t shake the teacher’s hand due to religious grounds during the end of term ceremony for pupils studying the German equivalent of A-levels.

Faculty members staged a walkout at the Kurt-Tucholsky School in Hamburg , after the boy reportedly said: ‘No offence, my religion won’t let me do that. I do not mean to disrespect you.’

When Andrea Lüdtke, headteacher, refused to send the boy home from the event, five teachers walked out.

Lüdtke said that seven teachers boycotted another event following the incident.

There was said to be ‘intense discussions’ with the boy.

In a statement, Lüdtke explained: ‘The pupil in question is in no way extremist. We are now considering how to show that we cannot tolerate such behaviour. It is the first time that this has been an issue at the school.

While Katajun Amirpur, professor of Islamic studies and deputy director of the Academy for World Religions in Hamburg told the Daily Mail: ‘Some men shake hands with women. Some people do it. There can be different explanations.’
Thoughts?

Worldwide

He may not be 'extreme' but he is rude.
yet another stupid religious rule people follow blindly

Howard

I don't like shaking people's hands either. Some people don't wash their hands and transmit warts or other infectious diseases. Especially at church, which is why I tell people I've been sick so they don't.

Worldwide

I don't shake anyone's hand. Who knows where they've been.
that is a little different than deliberately not shaking someone's hand because of their gender and race.
if this kid chose not to shake the hand because of the color of someone's kin there would be an outcry, but because it is gender based it almost accepted as 'oh well, it's their religion'.

APS

Unarmed
He had his reasons which he explained.
Can anyone show me any law in any country that says you must shake someones hand.

Worldwide

He had his reasons which he explained.
Can anyone show me any law in any country that says you must shake someones hand.
You cannot legislate good manners.
i am glad they all walked out and left him with his outdated backwards beliefs.

APS

Unarmed
You cannot legislate good manners.
i am glad they all walked out and left him with his outdated backwards beliefs.
Good manners is being tolerant of other peoples beliefs even when they don't match yours.

D

DaveM

I must admit I also don't feel that this warranted a walkout by the teaches, are they not supposed to be teaching the youth tolerance amongst other things. When I am around other religions or even cultures I always try and be tolerant to their beliefs even if they have no idea about mine.

Worldwide

I must admit I also don't feel that this warranted a walkout by the teaches, are they not supposed to be teaching the youth tolerance amongst other things. When I am around other religions or even cultures I always try and be tolerant to their beliefs even if they have no idea about mine.
That is because as a man you would not be treated second class the way women are, now imagine that your opinions are not listened to or wanted, you are considered as property and you are not worthy of a handshake and your opinion may be a bit different.

Top Bottom