• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Subtitles or voice dubbing?

Jazzy

Forum Admin
When watching a foreign movie do you prefer subtitles or voice dubbing and why?

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
Subtitles.

In fact, sometimes when watching movies or shows in English I'll have the subtitles on. Especially when in this scene they're shouting and there's background noise and loud music, and in the next scene they're whispering.

Kaunisto

Finland is subtitle country, only stuff for children is ever dubbed.
This is because for a small language area dubbing used to be too expensive. And because there wasn't much dubbing, the quality was usually awful - which nobody cared about since it was all for children. Only Disney (and later Pixar) films would get a half-decent dub. Pretty much only TV show that's ever had a dub I'd call good is MLP:FiM (and even that has had some annoying changes of voice actors along seasons).

I prefer to watch even anime with Japanese speech and Finnish or English subtitles (according availability).

Lämmchen

It depends. If I'm watching I prefer subtitles so I can hear the voices and the language. If my husband is watching I prefer voice dubbing because then I can be on the computer and still listen in to what he's watching :D

SwishUK

I tend to do the same as @DrLeftover. I put on subtitles when I watching English tv as a lot of the time characters start to whisper in random scenes and I miss a lot.

But I have seen subtitled films in language classes when I was at school. Saw “El Mariachi” in Spanish when I was 15 and “Taxi” in French when I was 12! The teacher for the french class was a PE teacher and didn’t care!

Mandy

Saw “El Mariachi” in Spanish
Me too! I don't remember what grade though.
lol 1 year we watched Beauty & the Beast at the end of the year in Spanish class and it was dubbed in French, thankfully we all had watched the movie before.

Kaunisto

That makes me think I should watch all the different dubs on my DVDs. I see that my El Mariachi only has German dub available (aside Spanish) - that ought to be interesting...
Out of my anime, there must be quite a lot I've never watched with the English dub.

SwishUK

El Mariachi is actually a good film. I remember telling my mum about it when I got home. She wasn’t impressed the school let me watch it. It’s like in history we watched Apocolypse now and Mississippi burning (one of my favourite films).

Howard

I prefer subtitles in all the movies I watch, and not just foreign films, just because I'm hard of hearing. When I buy a new movie, I pretty much turn on the English subs when watching it.

Top Bottom