SpaceX launches first 60 satellites for world wide internet service

Snog

Last night SpaceX launched the first 60 communications satellites for it's Starlink internet service, which will eventually reach up to 12,000 satellites. These will allow world wide internet service, even to places that never had it.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Any idea when I can cancel my internet service and subscribe to this?

Snog

It's nowhere near ready for public use yet and this is just the first phase of deployment/debugging.

However, I think at some point in the video it is mentioned that the first two test satellites that are already up there delivered 600Mbps which is about 75MB/s or darned close to gig speed broadband (about 125MB/s). And because they are low earth orbit satellites, the latency isn't too bad either.

Snog

For those interested, @Jazzy ;), as of yesterday there are now 240 Starlink satellites in orbit. They are coming close to going operational in North America, which I believe is planned for some time after the next launch of 60 satellites next month. Possibly as early as March or April.

Additionally, no satellite dish will be needed. It's going to basically be a flatpack antenna pointed "UP". :D
Looks like a thin, flat, round UFO on a stick. Starlink Terminal has motors to self-adjust optimal angle to view sky. Instructions are simply:
– Plug in socket
– Point at sky
These instructions work in either order. No training required.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 7, 2020
Some Starlink satellites that are not yet spread apart to their permanent positions...

Snog

If anyone signed up for beta testing of Starlink, check your email for an address request from them. They are preparing to ship out equipment.

Top Bottom