Short on money

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Even though I'm single, when I cook I make enough for a family. For example: If I'm making lasagna, I make a big tray of it. What I don't eat, I cut into portions for more meals and freeze them. This way, when I'm short on money, I just have to go into the freezer and pick what I want to eat. Defrost it, heat it and I'm ready to eat. :)

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
The "manager's mark down" tags in the meat case are our deep freeze's best friends.

There's just the two of us, but we've been known to buy the HUGE packages of chicken parts, pork roasts, ground beef, or whatever, and divide it up into more reasonable size packages in zipper freezer bags, and put them in the deep freeze at -10 F (-23C).

Also, I have no problem buying the "primal cuts" of beef and pork and doing a little home butchering myself.

I've seen whole pork loins at over two dollars a pound less than a package of pork chops. Yes, I'm buying nine or ten pounds of meat, but do you know how many meals we'll get out of that?

psalms91

The "manager's mark down" tags in the meat case are our deep freeze's best friends.

There's just the two of us, but we've been known to buy the HUGE packages of chicken parts, pork roasts, ground beef, or whatever, and divide it up into more reasonable size packages in zipper freezer bags, and put them in the deep freeze at -10 F (-23C).

Also, I have no problem buying the "primal cuts" of beef and pork and doing a little home butchering myself.

I've seen whole pork loins at over two dollars a pound less than a package of pork chops. Yes, I'm buying nine or ten pounds of meat, but do you know how many meals we'll get out of that?

Absolutely! I do this as well

Top Bottom