• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Scratched discs?

Kaunisto

Have you ever (successfully) used toothpaste or some other trick (or product designed for the purpose) to get scratched discs working?

Howard

Have you ever (successfully) used toothpaste or some other trick (or product designed for the purpose) to get scratched discs working?
Didn't have any luck with that. But I did buy a JFJ Easy Pro Disc Buffer off of Amazon and it worked really well for me. It quit working 8 years after I had it but that's because I used it a lot and I was always buying used DVD's and than buffing the scratches and scrapes out of them. Than they'd work like new. Trust me. It is well worth the investment. But DO NOT use it on a Bluray. It will tear those up.

Kaunisto

Yeah, big note to anyone reading: Blu-rays are not like CD and DVD, do not try any of these fixes on blu-ray!

That thing sounds good, but I was hoping for something more at hand...
I'm asking about toothpaste because internet seems to be pretty 50-50 about that. Haven't really tried anything yet, aside basic cleaning.

Howard

I'm asking about toothpaste because internet seems to be pretty 50-50 about that. Haven't really tried anything yet, aside basic cleaning.
I've tried it. It doesn't work. You should try using Turtle Wax.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
@DrLeftover: Do you have any suggestions for @Kaunisto?
maybe.

You can try polishing the bottom of the disc with whatever you want to try, MAYBE something will be able to read it.

Also, try an older AND SLOWER disk reader in an older AND SLOWER computer, such as an XP machine, they may not be as picky about the media as a newer machine.

But if the scratch it on the top of the disc, which is a molecule-thick aluminum (or similar) metallic coating where the data is actually written through the clear disc body, you're done.

Kaunisto

Eyeglass cleaner (says it's also suitable for DVD) and toothpaste didn't do notable/significant change on first try.
I tried cleaning PS2 game (with only minor scratches) that PC reads but PS2 won't; as I said no change.
Used toothpaste on another game (heavily scratched) that both have read partially; not sure if it got slightly worse for PC or am I thinking how it's worked on a different PC/drive, while PS2 seems to react about the same (though skipping some of openings I got further than before).

But so far, nothing useful achieved.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
I gave toothpaste a try with one more disc, but there's no notable effect.
Maybe you could try this: Instructables highlights a simple tip for making CDs and DVDs with scratches readable again. Simply take a cotton ball and dip it in some rubbing alcohol to clean the area near the scratch. Then apply Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly to the disc. The Vaseline will fill in the scratch, hopefully making it readable again.

Kaunisto

I'm not sure I have or where to get the suitable equivalent materials and I'm kind of suspicious of that because it doesn't follow the same logic as most other ideas. I'm not sure filling the scratch would help because the problem is how light goes through the material. Though it is more similar than air so I guess there's less refraction?

Either way, I think I'm giving up for now.

Top Bottom