Schoolboy killed himself

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
A teenager killed himself after he was allegedly bullied at school by a pupil who threatened to have him stabbed.

‘Caring and gentle’ Harry Gray, 15, was found hanging outside his bedroom by his mother Dannii Hollis when she returned home to cook dinner.

Despite efforts to revive him, he died a few hours later after being airlifted to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

An inquest heard that just a month before his death in April this year, a fellow pupil at Northfield School started making threats to have Harry stabbed.

He was also struggling in his English and art lessons, which was upsetting him.

Harry, from Billingham, Teesside, had no history of mental health issues and gave no indication to family that he was thinking about suicide.

He had reported the stab threats to the school, but the pupil later told him that had only made it worse, and the threats continued.

Dannii, 33, said Harry had skipped school one afternoon before the Easter holidays.

She said: ‘We reassured him that (the stabbing) was not going to happen and to call me from school if it happened again.’

The day he died he spent time with family and playing on his Xbox, but complained of feeling ill with a cold.

Detective Inspector Kath Vickers told an inquest at Teesside Coroners Court that after Harry’s death two people were arrested, but there was not enough evidence to charge them.

She said there was no evidence that he was being bullied any more than would be constituted normal child interaction.

But Dannii, a nurse, told the inquest: ‘I am absolutely furious about that. On his iPad Harry screenshot the threats from the child.

‘If that isn’t Harry being picked on I don’t know what its. The police had all these things.’

Coroner Claire Bailey recorded a verdict of suicide.
Do you think the pupil who threatened to have him stabbed was responsible? (Why/Why Not)

Worldwide

Morally yes, legally not sure. How do they link the fact that he was being bullied to the fact that he took his own life, unless it was in a note or something.
Although people should be held responsible for their actions, unless there is a direct link between the bullying and the suicide it is impossible to say that the threats were the reason he killed himself. He may have had other pressures in his life not being disclosed.

that is not to say that bullying should be taken seriously by the law and the kid held accountable for making death threats.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
An inquest heard that just a month before his death in April this year, a fellow pupil at Northfield School started making threats to have Harry stabbed.

He was also struggling in his English and art lessons, which was upsetting him.
I think the physical threats that had been made against him, and the difficulty he was having with a number of lessons at school, led him to commit suicide.

D

DaveM

It is a sad state the amount of bulling we see in schools these days and I also think the internet has made it even worse with youngsters posting up videos of it, so now it seems like the normal thing to do to be a "man" you need to have a few videos behind you.

Schools need to start taking bulling as a very serious problem.

S

Stuart

The trouble in this country is teachers do not take bulling seriously and in the years my kids have been going to school it has been the same from primary (by far the worst) to secondary, at least the secondary schools do make some effort and our school is better than most but still fall way below a executable standard of prevention and mediation. Bullying at primary schools here is far more serious because they quit literally deny any bullying happens even when there has been blood and bruises and kids telling the teachers what happens, they just deny it and label parents as "trouble" rather than deal withy the bulls and their parents, seen this several times and heard other accounts from other primary schools in the area. If you basically give kids free reign to do just as they like with no consequences at primary school then it can not be that surprising they get worse as they get older.

Worldwide

I feel for teachers as all this responsibity is placed on them when it is parents that should be teaching their kids their behaviour not teachers who are supposed to police their misbehaviours.

The problem with bullying is that everyone is focused on the person being bullied, which seems like the right thing to do, but in fact it does nothing to stop bullying.

If you think about it, it usually takes two or more people to engage in bullying behaviour, sometimes even groups of people. Then there are those who take part by being spectators.

So chances are more likely that if a kid is not being bullied, they are more likely to be a bully.

But people are more concerned and aware of their kid being bullied instead of asking their kids if they are being or participating in bullying.

If we only respond everytime there is a victim of a serious nature and not be questioning the daily behaviour of these kids, then bullying will continue and it will grow because it is the behaviour of the larger group.

S

Stuart

I agree that ultimately it's down to parenting or lack of, but the parent is not in the playground during school time there for the responsibility at this point is the school and they fail consistently at this in a majority of schools in the UK. The current mind set of teachers and school governors is one of "it's not our job" and no strength of character to stand up and adequately punish bullies and their parents or to actually implement properly the school anti bulling policy which all schools are required to have in place yet most fail to implement it in any meaningful way.

Top Bottom