says it all: "Yahoo declined to comment for this story."

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
The identity crisis that led to Yahoo's demise

... ... the demise of Yahoo, which culminated in an agreement this week to sell the company's core assets to Verizon Communications Inc, has been more than a decade in the making. Many of the more than two dozen former Yahoo managers interviewed by Reuters over the past two weeks -- who now occupy executives suites elsewhere in Silicon Valley -- agree that the company's downfall can be traced to choices made by both the executive leadership and the board of directors during the company's heyday in the mid-2000s.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-m-a-missteps-analysis-idUSKCN1060DN

Webster

*reads Reuters article in OP* This first part....
When senior Yahoo executives gathered at a San Jose hotel for a management retreat in the spring of 2006, there was no outward sign of a company in crisis.

The internet pioneer, not yet a teenager, had just finished the prior year with $1.9 billion in profits on $5.3 billion in revenue. The tough days of the dot-com bust were a distant memory, and Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O), flush with lucrative advertising deals from the world's biggest brands, was enjoying its run as one of the top dogs in the world's hottest industry.

But for one retreat exercise, everyone was asked to say what word came to mind when a company name was mentioned. They went through the list: eBay: auctions. Google: search. Intel: microprocessors. Microsoft: Windows.

Then they were asked to write down their answer for Yahoo.

"It was all over the map," recalled Brad Garlinghouse, then a Yahoo senior vice president and now COO of payment settlement start-up Ripple Labs. "Some people said mail. Some people said news. Some people said search."
...especially the bolded section, says it all. They tried to be all things to all people and it bit Yahoo in the ass.

S

~Storm~

Do people really still use any of Yahoo's services as I cannot remember when last I even heard of anyone using Yahoo.

S

~Storm~

In the early days I did use it but Google seems to take the market and it does seem that Google is the first choice of many people. I wonder if those that started using the internet after Google established itself even know about Yahoo.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
I still have a Yahoo mail account, but I've been weaning important stuff off of it (publisher, business contacts, etc) for a year or so now.

Chat hasn't worked at all in about two years, and that used to be the best thing about Yahoo.

As far as the content on their "portal", most of it was useless Celebrity crap.

Top Bottom