Russia will not face blanket ban from Rio 2016 by IOC

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Source
Russia will not face a country-wide ban from the Rio Olympics following the country’s doping scandal.

The International Olympics Committee (IOC) will instead leave it up to individual sport’s governing bodies to decide if the Russian competitors in their own sports are clean and whether they should be allowed to take part.

A report from Canadian law professor Richard McLaren said Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme from 2011 to 2015.

But despite that, there will be no blanket ban on Russians from Rio 2016.

Any Russian athlete who has served a doping ban will not be eligible for next month’s Games.

And and Russian competitors who want to take part in the Rio will have to meet strict criteria set out by the IOC.

The Games start on August 5.
Thoughts?

APS

Unarmed
I think that is a lot fairer than just a blanket ban.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Evidently the delay in the decision allowed Russia to get some key payments through to the right IOC members.

Business as usual. No problem.

--

APS

Unarmed
Evidently the delay in the decision allowed Russia to get some key payments through to the right IOC members.

Business as usual. No problem.

--
Presumably you have evidence to back that statement ?
Not every Russian was taking drugs the IOC have said those who can prove they're clean can participate the rest can't.

APS

Unarmed
Perhaps we should see about getting all US cyclists banned from the Tour De France then.

Worldwide

I think that Russia is a major competitor in the Olympics and as long as they are not doping it is more interesting having them in it than not in it.

Worldwide

The way I see it, every Olympics there are two major issues.
1. Cost
2. Drugs
Simple solution. Remove the ban on doping and let the pharmaceutical companies sponsor it.
I don't care what they are on, I just want to see how high they can jump lol

Webster

Perhaps we should see about getting all US cyclists banned from the Tour De France then.
1099.gif
Lance Armstrong & Floyd Landis - may they both rot in hell - do not make for an across-the-board ban...what Russia did, APS....that's a different story.

APS

Unarmed
What Russia did not what all Russian athletes did.
If they're clean and can prove it why should they suffer.
Of course it would make it easier for the USA to win some medals.

And with that I'm gone from this forum,I've never know so much racism and hate as there is here.

Webster

What Russia did not what all Russian athletes did.
With a doping regimen such as Russia - and by past extension, the former Soviet Union, had - the assumption nowadays, @APS , is that all Russian athletes are doping, not just most of them....all of them.

Doesn't mean there aren't others doping; it simply means that unlike Russia, we're talking individuals, not whole countries.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
With a doping regimen such as Russia - and by past extension, the former Soviet Union, had - the assumption nowadays, @APS , is that all Russian athletes are doping, not just most of them....all of them.
We have lost a Premium Member and there's no sense tagging him anymore:
I'm gone from this forum,I've never know so much racism and hate as there is here.

APS

Unarmed
Right I've decided a few idiots are not going to spoil it for me.

APS

Unarmed

Doesn't mean there aren't others doping; it simply means that unlike Russia, we're talking individuals, not whole countries.
THE ASSUMPTION ?
Its already been proved their not all doping so what gives you the right to make assumptions.

Webster

THE ASSUMPTION ?
Its already been proved their not all doping so what gives you the right to make assumptions.
First off, welcome back, APS. :)

Second, I hate quoting the Wiki, but....to sum it up, there is a long and extensive history, APS, of Russian/Soviet doping that transcends individual athletes but goes throughout their entire sporting culture to a degree that no other country even comes close to.

Now, do we see individual athletes doping from other countries? Yes.
Do we see the same ingrained culture of doping that is endemic w/in Russia? No.

And there is the difference; while doping by individuals is a problem that athletics faces, only Russia has the history of doping as a country that it does, a history it has well earned, so when I see any Russian athlete, I have to ask myself, "Is that athlete doping?" That's a question I don't have to ask about anyone from any other country in question...so yes, I am going to speak my mind on this issue because in my opinion, until Russia cleans up it act, no Russian athlete should be allowed to compete in any international competition...period, end of story.

Top Bottom