Rendel (2017)

Kaunisto

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Rendel (2017)

Tagline: Revenge begets revenge.

Genre: Fantasy, Action, Crime

Director: Jesse Haaja

Cast: Kristofer Gummerus, Bianca Bradey, Sheila Shah, Alina Tomnikov, Matti Onnismaa, Aake Kalliala, Johnny Vivash, Rami Rusinen, Reino Nordin, Sami Huhtala, Anu Palevaara, Michael Majalahti, Tero Salenius, Michael Hall, Marko Pesonen, Minttu Tamski, Renne Korppila, Minna Nevanoja, Pete Niemelä, Roosamaria Mäkinen, Teemu Karvonen

Release: 2017-09-22

Runtime: 105

Plot: A Finnish superhero, a masked vigilante Rendel seeks for revenge and fights against VALA, the huge criminal organization.

Kaunisto

Rendel was billed as "the first Finnish superhero film" and that's what it is, a generic superhero film (made in small budget). Kind of like the 90's Darkman films more in style of Batman trilogy.
It's also one of first Finnish action films that tries to be completely serious, keeping straight face. (Usually anything like this made in Finland is at least part a dark comedy.) This feels silly to a Finn, but if I was watching equivalent made elsewhere I'd be thinking "OK, they're trying, it doesn't have to be a joke even when you have low budget".

I saw this recently and... it's not a great movie, might say not even good. But it's OK to watch once.
One of two major failures is that it's so profoundly generic superhero/action film story, aside one nice twist/character and that origin story is spread along the film (moving bit unclearly between present and past, but that just makes you concentrate more on what's going on).
The other are combat scenes. Not only are they pretty bad but they're very inconsistent, imitating one moment Jason Statham and the next WWE. The latter is particularly cringy, probably including actual (Finnish?) wrestlers as actors/choreographers.

The film did better internationally than domestically - I'm not surprised - and they are now making a sequel, filmed in English. (Rendel is mostly Finnish, with some English dialogues and I recall moments on other languages too.)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Top Bottom