• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Religious "truth" and its sources

MoreCoffee

Okay, in many Christian chat forums there is one side that thinks the bible is close to perfect and error free and another side that admits some error and some contradictions. Atheists and agnostics tend to think the bible is not particularly reliable and probably on the whole not a good guide for living a moral life. So I thought it might be interesting to see what people think about this matter. And to help us get started I have a short video that covers one perspective that is interesting

Aura

Ocean Soul
I don't think it's a reliable source. It's been rewritten many times, translated into many languages and that in it's self causes inaccuracies. I think people take what they want out of such texts. I'm not Christian, read parts when I was a kid but didn't really understand them.
In Norse paganism, we have The Edda's (Prose & Poetic) and Havamal (The words of Odin, High One). But I think the same applies.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
I'll let somebody smarter than me explain it:

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible."
- Thomas Aquinas

factoverstigma

too many people take the bible literally, but we also have to remember that christianity was not the first religion, nor even the second or the third. it came much later after human beings decided they didn't like whatever everyone else agreed was the religion du jour and conjured up some garbage no faithful person "has to explain" and...you know provide evidence for. i'll take science over shoddy and unreliable sources. at least its the most concrete understanding we have of our world and it makes sense to me why its ever-changing

Bluezone777

A good half hour video of a speech that Voddie Baucham gave which offers a reasoned response to how you can trust the Bible and offers a rebuttal to common concerns brought up by those who believe the Bible can't be trusted.

factoverstigma

A good half hour video of a speech that Voddie Baucham gave which offers a reasoned response to how you can trust the Bible and offers a rebuttal to common concerns brought up by those who believe the Bible can't be trusted.
i dont feel any of the things that man said were reasonable explanations as to why you might be able to believe what's in the bible. sure, he speaks very eloquently and he has a large personality. he speaks with a lot of passion and emotion. so did a lot of other awe-inspiring leaders out there (coughhitlercough no i am not comparing this man to hitler), but that's about all. the only source he truly quotes is...well, the bible. the very thing that is the subject of this debate and offers virtually no other reliable sources from a different field of study or point of view. his argument is incredibly weak simply because of that fact

TRUE LIBERTY

I don't think it's a reliable source. It's been rewritten many times, translated into many languages and that in it's self causes inaccuracies. I think people take what they want out of such texts. I'm not Christian, read parts when I was a kid but didn't really understand them.
In Norse paganism, we have The Edda's (Prose & Poetic) and Havamal (The words of Odin, High One). But I think the same applies.
Kinda reminds me of the religion of big government and global warming.

Top Bottom