Racist or sexist remarks

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Should an actor or politician have their career ruined by racist or sexist remarks they made 10/20 years ago on social media, why or why not?

Vince284

To me, it would matter "who are they now". If they display and say a whole different narrative then I tend to want to give them a chance.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Should an actor or politician have their career ruined by racist or sexist remarks they made 10/20 years ago on social media, why or why not?

Only if they are a white man who happens to be more or less conservative, and has been a relative success in their field.

If they are one of the "Protected Classes" or a liberal, they're fine.

Howard

I would say no. If it happened 10-15 years ago. Than nothing should be done about it now if there wasn't any back lash for it than. But sadly it's not up to me and it has ruined many people's career. I personally think it's stupid.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
For example to prove my point I cite Bryant Gumbel's statement about the Winter Olympics from 2006.
" So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. "
The video of his rant has been purged from Youtube (google) and ESPN (disney), but a transcript is still available here:

He was given a pass.

If a white commentator had said something similar, he would have been instantly fired. In fact, several have been.

And that is pointed out in this other article from the time:

Let's be clear: Mr. Gumbel is a bona fide racist here. He insinuated that skilled white athletes are, in fact, not really that great, simply because they do not display Mr. Gumbel's preferred skin color. Apparently, only sports dominated by blacks qualify as "Real Sports."

Top Bottom