Pit Bulls Maul Owner to Death in Her Home

Vince284

A 59-year-old woman was attacked and killed by her family's two pit bull dogs while at home in Texas over the weekend.

1626832376304.png

I wonder if this breed just gets a bad rap. I wonder what makes them turn on people and their owners. I wonder why people insist on owning them.

Any thoughts?

Angel

No Drama Zone!
OMGosh! That is horrible! I have a friend that owned a pit for many years. He was the sweetest dog in the world. Then one day... for no apparent reason, he attacked my friend. He got him on the neck and almost killed him. He was about a quarter inch from getting the main artery. I also have a niece that owns one and she is so sweet. As for me... I don't trust them at all. They seem to be super sweet, then something triggers them and they attack.

I AM WABI SABI

75% to 85% of victims of dog bites are from strays with no owners. With 900 million dogs on the planet and a majority being strays is the problem not the dogs. Like everything these days we have a minority of people who don’t take responsibility for what they do and this case either discarding the dog or not taking the proper time to train the dog and understand their behaviors.

I mean this ridiculous notion of getting rid of pit bulls because they have ability to do more damage than other dogs is idiotic.

It’s like saying we should get rid of a human race because they commit more crimes than all others.

Vince284

75% to 85% of victims of dog bites are from strays with no owners.
I was thinking more on the lines of fatalities, according to Wikipedia in 2020 60% were caused by pit bulls or pit bull type/mix breeds. Some were caused by packs of feral dogs.

Most breeds don't kill their owners.

It’s like saying we should get rid of a human race because they commit more crimes than all others.
Yes a segment of the human race, criminals should be put away, they commit more crimes that the rest of humans.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Also, were these dogs kept outside all the time? The article states that food & water were seen on the "property", which makes me think they were mainly outside dogs. With the heat index as high as it has been in Texas & the rest of the country, it makes me wonder if they may have been suffering from some type of heat related disorder. Almost any dog will attack or try to bite if threatened or if their "people" are threatened, and if that is not the reason & they were outside for a prolonged amount of time, even with food & water, the heat may have caused mental confusion just as it will do in humans or any other animal.

I myself am not a fan of the breed, but think they do get a "bad rap" many times. And I do believe pit bulls are NOT good family pets.

Howard

Any thoughts?

I'm not surprised. It's a horrible dog breed and they should be illegal. They're too aggressive. The Breed Specific Legislation is trying to pass a law illegalizing people from having them. Although there are SOME people who defend the breed and say that any dog can attack and kill a human. That is true. But it's a lame argument. Pit Bulls have the highest percentage of attacks on people. That's way more than the other breeds.

More than 937 cities in the US have BSL legislation in place. View detailed lists. Many cities, including the largest US public housing authority in New York City, ban pit bulls through Housing Authorities. All military bases in the United States ban pit bulls.

In 2019, pit bulls accounted for 91% of all reported fatal attacks on other animals, 91% of all fatal attacks on other dogs, 76% of all fatal dog attacks on cats, and 82% of all fatal dog attacks on other pets, poultry and hoofed species.

I AM WABI SABI

I'm not surprised. It's a horrible dog breed and they should be illegal. They're too aggressive. The Breed Specific Legislation is trying to pass a law illegalizing people from having them. Although there are SOME people who defend the breed and say that any dog can attack and kill a human. That is true. But it's a lame argument. Pit Bulls have the highest percentage of attacks on people. That's way more than the other breeds.

so how about just for once we actually see why it’s happening and address the core issue to solve it instead of banning and making everything illegal from a problem that affects a small minority of the population.

They are fantastic family dogs and maybe instead of allowing dogs handed out as easily as buying beer in a grocery store we require certain breeds you need to do a 6 week training course that will weed out the people who don’t take dog ownership seriously. That’s just one idea I’m sure smarter people than me can think of other ideas that gets to a route of a problem instead of the constant bandaids feel good laws that solve nothing.

Howard

They are fantastic family dogs and maybe instead of allowing dogs handed out as easily as buying beer in a grocery store we require certain breeds you need to do a 6 week training course that will weed out the people who don’t take dog ownership seriously. That’s just one idea I’m sure smarter people than me can think of other ideas that gets to a route of a problem instead of the constant bandaids feel good laws that solve nothing.
I get it. You disagree. I'm still not backing down from my opinion.

Mandy

I have friends who own pibbles. Janie is a sweet 3 legged rescue.
My vet tech friend has owned a pit more than once.

Top Bottom