• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Orlando victim’s father refuses to claim body because of ‘gay shame’

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
When 49 people were shot dead at a gay club in Orlando last month, the world came together and mourned for them.

Vigils were held around the world, and the victims were in everyone’s thoughts during Pride weekend.

The bodies of those killed at Pulse nightclub have all since been released to next of kin. Even the gunman, Omar Mateen, has been collected.

But one man’s body was left behind, because his father was so ashamed of his homosexuality he refused to pick him up.

‘The tale is part of the untold stories of the Latino victims of the Pulse nightclub massacre,’ Orlando Latino reports.

The authorities haven’t named the man, so as not to ‘further victimise’ him, but it has been confirmed that he was Puerto Rican.

‘The pain of being Puerto Rican and gay is real,’ the site continued. ‘In the island’s macho culture (relative to the states), anti-gay bias is not subtle and has reached the highest levels of government.’

Another publication, The Advocate, added that this form of homophobia hearkens back to the height of the AIDs crisis – when ‘countless numbers of young gay men died and family members did not claim the bodies of their so-called loved ones’.
Thoughts?

Dee

That's incredibly sad. I can't imagine what the victim had to go through when they were alive, and now this. That man should be ashamed of himself.

APS

Unarmed
That's incredibly sad. I can't imagine what the victim had to go through when they were alive, and now this. That man should be ashamed of himself.
That just about sums it up.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Well said and this sums it up for me too.

Howard

I never weighed in on this topic, not having words at the time. But I will now.

The father shouldn't care if his son is gay anymore. That is a has been and everything in death should be forgiven. The fact is this. His son is dead and he deserves for his father to be there for him. His father owes him that much. It is very disrespectful of someone to speak ill of the dead or show that on their sleeve. I hope his father regrets the way he treated his son later and learns a valuable lesson that he needs learn that everything is forgiven in death.

The Latin phrases De mortuis nihil nisi bonum and De mortuis nil nisi bene [dicendum] ("Of the dead, [say] nothing but good") indicate that it is socially inappropriate to speak ill of the dead. As a mortuary aphorism, De mortuis. . . . derives from the Latin sentence De mortuisnil nisi bonum dicendum est ("Of the dead nothing but good is to be said"), which also is abbreviated as Nil nisi bonum. Freer translations into English are often used as aphorisms, these include: "Speak no ill of the dead", "Of the dead, speak no evil", and "Do not speak ill of the dead".
Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum

Top Bottom