Nurse’s powerful response to woman

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
A young nurse was picking up a few essentials at a store after work when the cashier confronted her about her appearance.
mary-2.jpg
Young nurse Mary Walls Penney, who works with patients who have Alzheimer’s and dementia, currently has colourful rainbow dyed hair, along with multiple piercings and tattoos.

While she was paying for her shopping, the cashier spotted her badge from the nursing home in Wyoming County, West Virginia, and asked her what she did.

‘I’m a nurse,’ Mary replied.

The cashier responded: ‘I’m surprised they let you work there like that. What do your patients think about your hair?’, before asking a lady in the queue behind what she thought of Mary’s hair.

She also commented that she was shocked that a nursing facility ‘would allow that’.

After the conversation, Mary went home and offered her thoughts in a Facebook post, that has now been viewed 220,000 times.

‘I can’t recall a time that my hair color has prevented me from providing life saving treatment to one of my patients,’ she wrote.

‘My tattoos have never kept them from holding my hand and as they lay frightened and crying because Alzheimer’s has stolen their mind.

‘My multiple ear piercings have never interfered with me hearing them reminisce about their better days or listening to them as they express their last wishes.

‘My tongue piercing has never kept me from speaking words of encouragement to a newly diagnosed patient or from comforting a family that is grieving.’

She concludes: ‘Please explain to me how my appearance, while being paired with my cheerful disposition, servant’s heart, and smiling face, has made me unfit to provide nursing care and unable to do my job!’
Thoughts?

Angel

No Drama Zone!
OMGosh... some people just have way to much time on their hands. How we look doesn't always reflect who we are. I am sure this nurse brings comfort, caring, and love to her patients who could care less what her hair color is. I know in this world there are some standards of dress code that need to be followed...but her work place allows it, so SHUT UP cashier lady. Your own hair could probably use a dye on it. LOL

Bluezone777

This is clearly a case of someone having far too much time picking out other people's perceived flaws and offering judgments based on appearances. May I ask why this cashier had so much time to do this when they should be too busy doing their job to do such things? This is also a case of where a person can't believe the world isn't governed by her opinions instead of the facts which clearly show she is fully capable of doing her job well with her hair, tattoos and piercings as they currently are.

Perhaps this cashier would like to be asked why this business she works at would hire such a judgmental busybody as herself who clearly is using company time to hand out broad generalizations that are none of her business nor pertain to her line of work?

APS

Unarmed
If the cashier collapsed in the street would she turn away a Paramedic if she had tattoos and piercings.I think not.
She should keep her comments to herself and get on with what she's paid to do.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
I know how hard that job is so let her bring in the rainbow to wherever she is as long as she is not hurting others does it really matter.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
If she worked as a surgical nurse, I could see where some of it might interfere.

In her chosen field, as long as her employer and the families of her patients have no problem with it, it is nobody else's business.

--

Top Bottom