Need Help Please

Jazzy

Forum Admin
On Windows 10: Does anyone know I stop photos add-on + Photos Media Engine add-on repeatedly trying to install itself?

This slows performance on my computer. I cannot find any way to stop it doing this. It won't let me terminate the process due to that option being grayed out and so is the uninstall option. I tried a reset but that didn't stop it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lämmchen

Are you the Admin of your computer? I know it sounds like an obvious question but it's something you should check to make sure that Windows didn't exclude you from being Admin. Then maybe it won't be greyed out and you can uninstall it?

Hmmm I just did a search and others had the same problem. Their fix was to reinstall windows :( booo

Evil Eye

Well-Known Stalker
Stupid me doesn't know how to find what you're suggesting :(
I didn't really look into this but since you said it kept trying to install something I figure there's bound to be an executable installer somewhere it's trying to run. If you take away execute permissions from that installer it might still try, but it shouldn't be able to install anymore. Which'd just be a matter of right clicking the thing, going to "properties", getting to the "security" tab, and removing all the appropriate permissions for everyone in the list there. Not sure if it'll work of course, but it's worth a shot.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
@Evil Eye: Thank you for your time. I uninstalled the app. but the downloads keep happening. I also just did what you said but to no avail. It appears the culprit is the Microsoft Shop. I don't see anything in that to stop it either. :(

Evil Eye

Well-Known Stalker
Can't say I've ever used that but... maybe reinstall it through there and then uninstall it (also through there)? Make sure it knows you want it gone, basically.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
@DrLeftover: Do you have any suggestions on how I can stop these downloads?
Fortunately this app doesn't appear to be running on my machine, I haven't checked the other two yet. Perhaps I managed to disable "photos" before they pushed out that addition to it.

I did see this in a MS user group, the answer is in the comments section

Might be worth a shot.

Top Bottom