NASCAR star Kyle Larson suspended for using N-word during virtual race

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Direct quote from Kyle himself:

“Hey, I just want to say I’m sorry. Last night I made a mistake and said the word that should never, ever be said and there’s no excuse for that," Larson said in a video message.

"I wasn’t raised that way. It’s just an awful thing to say. I feel very sorry for my family, my friends, my partners, the NASCAR community and especially the African-American community. I understand the damage is probably unrepairable and I own up to that. But I just want to let you all know how sorry I am and I hope everybody is staying safe during these crazy times. Thank you.”

Full article-->NASCAR star Kyle Larson suspended for using N-word during virtual race
---------------------
Never understood the “that’s not who I am” defense. If it’s not in you, it can never come out of you.

Your thoughts?

Howard

Never understood the “that’s not who I am” defense. If it’s not in you, it can never come out of you.
I think some of these celebrities think they are above the rules. Than they realize they aren't when it comes time to pay the penalty and they lose their fan base, their sponsors, and their career when they get out of line. I sure hope Kyle Larson has enough money to retire really really early. He's going to need to save every cent.

Kaunisto

Firstly the "not who I am". I'm sure each of us has, or at least most people do, at one or other time gotten so pissed off we've told someone we're going to kill them. Does that make us homicidal maniacs? No, no more than slipping N-word once in anger makes you a racist. Your behavior when you most lose temper and control doesn't "reveal your true self" like some claim or define who you are. (Unless you murder or rape someone.) Technically, that is a part of who you are - a small, literally insignificant part - but treating people based on that is like calling a Ferrari crappy car because there's a bit of dog poo in a tire.

And therefore, I don't approve shitstorms resulting from one wrong word. I'd go with a three strike rule, if you cannot shut up after two mistakes, then it's fair to banish you from publicity. But making such a taboo that one word makes you a pariah, that's not political correctness (in positive meaning of the term), that's just hypocrisy. By which I'm referring to that people can spout pretty damn horrible racist crap and get away with it as long as they avoid these worst words.

I don't know, maybe it's my background of growing up in a society where there was no word like that. That's a thing of my generation here: before boomers blaspheme would shock people; boomers grew up in Cold War Finland, learning never to say certain word for Russians (and apparently didn't use worst curse words as freely as kids in 80's); and during this century we actually have black people here and political correctness about Roma and Sami that was still absent in 80's and 90's.
When I was in school, there was no single word saying of which would've gotten you to any more trouble than flipping a bird to teacher (which you'd probably get off once with a quick apology). And same mentality went for TV/radio, it'd take pretty much to be kicked out. Only example I remember is a comedian losing radio job when he had asked an apparently underage female caller how much for sex (followed by insisting her to give some number so the bargaining could move on to what extras are included). Real pity, he was quite funny at times.

Evil Eye

Well-Known Stalker
Social osmosis.
Spend enough time among people using specific language and you'll end up copying it. Perfectly normal, human behaviour.

Which means it probably says more about the language people he spends time with use. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say American games between 10 and 30.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
When he was on the lower circuit (I still think of it as the Busch Series, I'm not sure what name is on it this month), he had something of a reputation as a mouthy hothead.

Evidently, he still is.

Howard

he had something of a reputation as a mouthy hothead. Evidently, he still is.
Yep and it's finally paying off for him. If you go around shooting your mouth off and insulting people, treating people like dirt. Eventually you pay the toll for it. Jerks have a hard time keeping a job because no one wants to put up with them. He's like one of those really rude cashiers at Wal-Mart that's about to get fired.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
The other side of it is this....

Their silly Virtual Racing events are now National News.

Top Bottom