NASCAR: Junior out with long term concussion complications

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
Hendrick Motorsports announced Thursday that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not compete in this weekend's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway after experiencing concussion-like symptoms.

The team indicated in a statement that physicians did not clear Earnhardt to race after an evaluation this week. Alex Bowman, who drives part-time for Earnhardt's JR Motorsports team in the NASCAR XFINITY Series, was named as this weekend's interim driver in the Hendrick Motorsports No. 88 Chevrolet for Sunday's New Hampshire 301
The team indicated that there was no clear timetable for Earnhardt's return and that it would provide an update next week regarding his status for Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 24.
and

Hendrick GM: Jeff Gordon to drive at Indy if Dale Jr. can't
Sprint Cup
NASCAR.com

DrLeftover

This will be the third race he has missed because of it.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. warned Monday that his return to NASCAR could take longer than planned.

NASCAR's most popular driver is scheduled to miss his third consecutive race this Sunday with concussion-like symptoms. On his weekly podcast, he said he will have another evaluation soon to see "what kind of gains we've made and get in front of my doctors . and let them tell me where they think I'm at and that will help us make the decision on what we're going to do for Watkins Glen."

Jeff Gordon came out of retirement to drive for Earnhardt on Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Gordon will race the No. 88 car again this weekend at Pocono. No decision has been made by Hendrick Motorsports about next month's race at Watkins Glen.

Earnhardt said on last week's podcast he was struggling with balance and nausea, and said Monday doctors have given him daily exercises to improve his balance.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/07/26/earnhardt-return-to-nascar-could-take-more-time/

DrLeftover

(quoted)
DALE EARNHARDT JR. TO MISS REST OF 2016 SEASON

DARLINGTON, S.C. -- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not return to competition during the remainder of the 2016 season as he continues to recover from concussion-like symptoms.

Hendrick Motorsports officials made the announcement Friday morning, saying thatAlex Bowman and four-time series champ Jeff Gordon would split time in the No. 88 Chevrolet for the remaining 12 races of the season. Gordon is scheduled to drive the No. 88 as Earnhardt's replacement this weekend at Darlington Raceway.
(end)
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/9/2/dale-earnhardt-jr-sit-out-rest-of-2016-injury-concussion.html

DrLeftover

(quoted)
1 Oct, 2016

DOVER, Del. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. has driven a racing simulator as part of his rehabilitation for a concussion, and he said Saturday that the next eventual step would be to get into one of his late model stock cars.

When that would be has not been determined as the Hendrick Motorsports driver continues to recover from a concussion suffered June 12 at Michigan that has kept him out of the car since July 9 at Kentucky. He has missed 10 races and will miss the final eight this season while he recovers, hoping to return for the 2017 season.

"I'm not ready [to get in a car]," Earnhardt said Saturday. "I know that. I'll know when I'm ready and it's not one of them things that has a schedule. You don't know when you're going to be, 'All right, I'm good, let's go do this.'
(end quote)
MORE:
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/17684754/dale-earnhardt-jr-driven-racing-simulator-not-ready-pilot-stock-car

Top Bottom