Muslim woman told ‘not to bother applying’ for job because of hijab

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
A Muslim woman went into a jewellery shop to hand in her CV – but was told ‘not to bother’ because of her hijab.
ad_213288901.jpg
Mona Alfadli, 25, was hoping to apply for a sales assistant job at Steward Dawsons in Auckland last week.

But the manager immediately asked her if she would remove her hijab. When Mona said no, she was apparently told: ‘Don’t waste your time and don’t waste my time.’

‘I felt embarrassed as it took a lot of courage to walk into the shop and speak to the manager regarding a job, especially since I was afraid of the rejection,’ Mona told the NZ Herald.

Mona’s family settled in New Zealand as refugees from Kuwait in 2008. She finished her diploma in applied computer system engineering in November, and has been trying to find a job since then.

‘I can do any job, I don’t mind,’ she said. ‘But I will keep my hijab, I will keep my identity, and respect my culture and my religion.’

She told the publication it was her dream to find work and help support her family.
Was the manager right to ask her to remove her hijab? (Why/Why Not)

Bluezone777

I would first have to know on what grounds was her hijab going to prevent her from safely and successfully completing the line of work she was to be hired for?

I can't see what is the problem is outside of prejudice and if that is the case then it was wrong to deny her employment strictly because she wore a hijab. If there was a valid reason than it appears no one has bothered to offer it so unless they show one than my original statement stands.

Webster

As long as her wearing the hijab doesn't interfere with the job she's applying for, that manager should have some explaining to do as to why he did what he did above.

beowulf

im not saying he was right but i can understand why he said it

the way the world is at the moment if someone walked into the shop and saw the assistant dressed as she would be there is a good chance they would turn round and walk out again.......thats not good for business

Top Bottom