• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Murder victim ‘still has to pay back student loan’

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
Marcia DeOliveira-Longinetti’s son Kevin was shot to death last January, in a murder that as yet remains unsolved.

But while she has managed to get through the ordeal of cancelling all the 23-year-old’s subscriptions, bank accounts and credit cards, one loan remains outstanding.

Despite explaining her circumstances, Marcia says she has so far been unable to cancel a student loan her son took out when he went to the University of Vermont.

As it stands, she still has 92 payments to make to the New Jersey State agency, having already made about 18 at $180 (£140) a month.

‘We’re not going to be poor because of this,’ said Marcia, who co-signed the loan.

‘But every time I have to pay this thing, I think in my head, this is so ‘unfair.’

Marcia managed to get her federal loans written off, but the response she said she received from the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority was very different.

‘Please accept our condolences on your loss,’ a letter is reported to have said.

‘After careful consideration of the information you provided, the authority has determined that your request does not meet the threshold for loan forgiveness. Monthly bill statements will continue to be sent to you.’
Do you think it's fair she has to pay off the student loan? (Why/Why Not)

APS

Unarmed
Fair no,but if the laws are the same as ours if she co signed the loan she signed to say she would pay it if he couldn't.

Dee

Uh, no? The guy is dead. Why is that her responsibility to pay off her son's student loan? Absolutely ridiculous. If I were her, I'd fight it.

APS

Unarmed
Uh, no? The guy is dead. Why is that her responsibility to pay off her son's student loan? Absolutely ridiculous. If I were her, I'd fight it.
She could fight it in court but might end up with an even higher bill.
Yes I agree it's stupid but unfortunately she co signed to say she would.

Dee

She could fight it in court but might end up with an even higher bill.
Yes I agree it's stupid but unfortunately she co signed to say she would.
You're right. I suppose she wouldn't have much of a case if her name is on the contract she signed.

Bluezone777

I think it would be a sign of compassion to waive the loans in light of his murder. They might not legally have to but it would do wonders for their PR to be the one to show compassion towards a grieving mother who lost her son to murder by being willing to waive the debt. By paying the loan off, they are essentially paying a large sum of money for essentially nothing.

Worldwide

As sympathetic as I am to her loss, did she not understand her responsibility when she co-signed that loan?
co-signing a loan means that you become responsible for the loan if the person you are signing for cannot pay it back, as her son cannot pay it back it is now her responsibity.
That is just how it is.

Howard

She should have never cosigned it if she didn't want to pay it. But than again, she didn't know her son was going to be murdered either leaving it in her lap.

S

Shortie861

It being that she co-signed it, it would also make it her loan meaning she is also responsible for it being paid back which is a shame. That may have been their way of getting it paid back if anything had happened such as he didn't pay it back. It's a shame really that after someone dies they still choose to chase you for the debt.

Top Bottom