MLP FIM Discussion

Icetex

it was confirmed the US channel discovery family
that Final eps will ACTUALLY premiere Oct 12th, 2019
with behind the scenes special afterward
also to note DF is calling it "3 Part Finale"
====>
so..that means for me at least i will not able to see it until Monday(afternoon) or Sunday(morning) because i work that day
which sucks i was hoping the 19th because i don't work that day

Kaunisto

3 is a solid episode, though I would've preferred it a few episodes later, take some time before bringing back the Tree. (And student six still aren't among my favorite characters.)
The new form smells a bit of selling toys...

I had big expectations for episode #200, as the 100th episode is my favorite (or at least tied with another). This wasn't quite an event like, but still the kind of episode that becomes memorable classic, like Luna Eclipsed or Bats! or Scare Master.
There are couple things I would've changed. It should've been obvious choice to bring Glimmer into the operation. And what bothers me the most is at the end, how did Twilight lose? If Shining and Cel were just hiding behind throne, that's just cheating, there was no way to get the crown and that has nothing to do with the castle security. How was Twilight stopped (not at all!) or how did the security alert Shining and Cel (could've happened but isn't explained)? You could say Pinkie's distraction showed them something was happening, but that only works when they know who is attacking and on what purpose - not much security and again, cheating.
I would've had Twilight argue this, then saying that she might as well claim victory by taking the crown and teleport to it past Shining and Celestia - at which point everyone would see it's no longer there.
Still, a good episode, among top 20 (at least if two part ones count as one), and that's something considering it included my least favorite character Zephyr.

Kaunisto

OK episode. I do like all the references to old episodes, but Twilight panicing has gotten old, there should've been enough character development by now to stop it. (In season opener it was at least for proper reason.)
It's kind of sad when they have Muffins (or Vinyl) talking; something special has been lost.
It's notable that this has been one of best starts for season. Mostly there's been a 4th/5th episode curse, that one of those isn't good. S9 did have advantage of the 200th episode, there might've been more emphasis on that than usual, but still: if E6 is average, S9 ties with S2 in my personal record (yes, I do keep record) the best season beginning till that point.

Kaunisto

In almost no way particularly good nor bad episode. Only thing keeping it from being entirely unmemorable is the exceptionally realistic and serious subject.

Kaunisto

7 was kind of average episode but I like it. Yona is a fan favorite and that was lot of ship fuel, but I can live with that. Bit predictable and only really funny moments go to Angel and Opal, but the kind of episode one has come to routinely expect from the series.

8 is what I've been afraid the season to go to after the first episode. I don't hate it and to be fair I think it's the first all-villain episode ever? So, something different and all round OK, though Tirek was a bit off-character. (In last seasons villains have become more comedic, I don't really like that.)

Kaunisto

I don't like dragon episodes, but this one was OK. Got a bit stupid in the end.

It was good to have Apple family episode on final season and even better to see Winona - they've been listening to fans. But only an average episode in total.

Kaunisto

Not the best story, but the cast makes it clearly above average episode, especially my favorite Maud. Have we ever seen her in this kind of side role, anything between being main focus and minor background character? Maud madly in love made this episode. And Mudbriar was much more tolerable than before, this season really keeps bringing characters I didn't like and making them acceptable.

Well... still better than the episodes showing families of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. And it's somewhat the sort of goodbye episode I wished this season to have for all major characters. I do love all the references to old episodes.
But I'd like to see CMC for once doing something big, saving whole Equestria, giving their marks some great mystic meaning beyond them just being really really good friends.

Kaunisto

It's not a bad episode - still not one at the halfway season, something only seen at Season 2! - but it's sad that they hardly ever get Celestia/Luna episodes right, especially last few appearances have been bad. (Even Royal Problem was partially wasted potential in that sense.) They always act silly or stupid, off character.
And in this case, Twilight's not much better.
Btw, making amulet like that is a bad idea, I was expecting some villain to steal it.

Icetex

back for spoilers abunt!
eps 19-26
My Thoughts on s9 ep 19

well that's interesting ep
also, the return of gabby
and spike and rarity shipping intensifies in this ep
but overall a good ep
=====
My Thoughts on s9 ep 20

wow just wow Trixy was a bit too suborn this ep
it was nice ep but the choice by the end was a bit too obvious
and is really Trixy is qualified for school counselor? just say Chansler Naysay was right in some ways
=====
My Thoughts on s9 ep 21

*internal screaming* jk
it was GREAT episode calling it supering expectations on long-standing lore
this was a fun episode certainly
i like this ep
=====
My Thoughts on s9 ep 22

That was a neat idea but kind poor execution
i have one MAJOR issue WHY SCOOTS WINGS WEREN'T FULL SIZE?!??! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
anyways it was okay ep just moments weren't needed and characters regression
=====
My Thoughts on s9 ep 23

well that happened
as i predicted that big mac and sugar belle got married
although seemed a bit rushed overall a nice ep to end this arc with
=====
My Thoughts on s9 ep 24/25(Finale Part 1)

That was unexpected
Discord was Grogar?
neat..?
Anyways it was interesting ep
also, that heel turn at the end by villains getting turned to stone okay then...
overall it was great ep
=====
My Thoughts on s9 ep 26(Finale Part 2/Series Finale)

wut
anyways this was an interesting time jump ep
from the little details to the small inclusions like pinkie foal with cheese for some reason.... like did we really need that? also big mac and sugarbell foal
also, spike didn't skip leg day and the twilight new design is awesome and of course it ends how it began with a book closing from the start of the show neat detail
overall this was excellent ep easily the best
====
And yes rated this season 10/10 fight me

Kaunisto

I'm not that fond of the old Cheese episode and this wasn't quite as good. After the start - good point that the others are living their ambitions - Pinkie was left too much on the side, not acting as deeper character beyond that.
Obviously Cheese Sandwich loses more in translation than perhaps anything in MLP (I almost obsessively watch only Finnish dubs of the series), but even considering that this was mediocre at best.

15 is the kind of good solid episode I would've appreciated along previous seasons, but there are so many things I'd still want to see and so few episodes left that another buckball episode was unnecessary at this point.

Kaunisto

It wasn't a good idea to have one more "Twilight freaking out" episode, but I mostly liked it. In this kind of stories it really bugs me that we didn't get to see who won. I'd preferred a real battle between Twilight and Sunburst (and/or others), perhaps with some surprise winner (Maud?) as result of Twilight going to rulebook on everyone else. Also, despite all their competitiveness and couple categories/questions fitting them, I don't think AJ and Dash should've been among top players.
And did poor Muffins miss the whole event? That's not funny at all, that's sad.

(I should point out I wrote the above before seeing 17.)

A big episode, a good one, but I'm bothered how it repeats so many things of the season: Cel and Luna stepping down (which however I'm very happy with, in the opener it seemed just a silly idea for that episode, but now that they're following through...), the castle security, the evil 3, the amulet... it's like "we've seen all this already". As I've said before, there are too few episodes left to spend like this.
As for Twilight getting over it, that could've been done a lot better. After everything she's encountered through 8 seasons, she still freaked out in the opener (if for a really big thing), then for the book and finally (in above) went crazy over quiz game. And after that... she just like that decides to be smart instead? Between the last episode and this? (Also: she doesn't realize Dash interrupt AJ, that that is a sign of something funny going on? OK, it's a toon, but she should be smarter than that.)
So far I feel Season 9 has been such that at any other point of series it would've been one of best seasons, but it isn't like final season of series should be.
Also, as I thought S8 was very flat and steady without any particularly great nor bad episodes - and I feel that's a negative thing, I'll rather have a good episode and a bad one over two mediocre ones - and while there's more of feeling that they're trying, S9 has kind of gone the same path. I wouldn't say that any episode so far is in my top 10.

Kaunisto

This is what I call "classic": a special, memorable episode. That's not always same as a very good episode. In this case it is pretty good, but I don't like part of the premise. Angel has always been more sentient/human than most pets (the possible exception being Owlowiscious), but this suggests he is just as human as the ponies (if childish), minus ability to talk - and I don't approve the implications of that.
I think it would've been better if Angel-Fluttershy hadn't at all interacted with other ponies, the two of them just being among the animals, so that it would've been unclear whether in fact he as she could've spoken with ponies.
At least we got a Zecora episode for the final season.

Dragon Dropped may be the best episode of the season yet. Least to say while all the other best ones (opener, 200th and Student Council) had some bad elements beside the really good, this is one that had nothing that bothered me. (Except it would've been better to have Opal instead of AJ or Pinkie, that'd been funny.)
By now all other major characters had an episode or two except for Rarity, so I was expecting her's - but not a rarity-Spike one (and those have always been good). It was great they brought back fan favorite Gabby.

Kaunisto

I didn't like to have another Glimmer/Trixie episode - I've said before I'd rather have them interact with other characters and not just each other, and this continues the not entirely positive trend of S9 of having pairs of similar episodes (even if they do create a continuity).
That said, it was a very good episode, showing another fan favorite Octavia (with Vinyl on the side). Only thing that bothered me was Sunburst being brought in last second (and a great change for his life being made in an episode he was barely in), but can't really say how that could've been done better.

I've never much liked Daring Do episodes, but this was a good one - mainly thanks to Fluttershy. And as I've for much of S9 complained that episodes aren't the kind I'd wish/expect to see at this point, this one was: a mini-finale for specific characters.

Kaunisto

Can't help it, I have to say this was a bad episode. It's simple, it's not funny, the characters show zero development along whole series - in fact this was a step back from how smart they were sometimes in season 1 - and while that's a bit unfair standard to judge individual episode, this was just the kind of fill(y)er episode I didn't want to see among the last ones. Plus, the Scootaloo episode would've been a satisfying final major appearance of CMC; this ruins that. And also... this means Scootaloo still can't fly as adult? :(
And so we didn't get a full season without one (by my definition) bad episode.

I said before season that I didn't want to see Big Mac getting married. And episodes involving CMC or Discord (unless there's character development for him) aren't usually that good; don't remember if there's ever been one with both in this big role. And the there's the kind of slapstick mix-up premise I don't like.
Despite all that, it's a good episode. I can live with that. There were lots of funny moments, like Granny's dream. Only real complaint about writing/execution (of idea I didn't like) is that the wedding got so short moment in the end. It should've been done a bit more properly or preferably left out, just leave this to them being engaged.
As the series is coming to end, I'm doing lots of analysis. More of that after I've seen the finale (monday-wednesday), but here's something for now.

Some pages back I did a list of my Top 10 episodes (plus 5 more good ones). I think the Top 10 still stands, but I tried to expand it to 20 best episodes; couldn't decide so it's 22.

Here's the list again, with the added episodes. For analysis, I marked from which season each is (and *=2-part and **=the 1-part season finale).

1 Slice of Life 5
2 Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? 5
3 Scare Master 5
4 Princess Twilight Sparkle 4*
5 A Canterlot Wedding 2*
6 Amending Fences 5
7 The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows 5
8 Friendship is Magic 1*
9 Bridle Gossip 1
10 The Return of Harmony 2*
(Had to put in 2-parts as one so that they don't take most of list.)

Next ones outside list:
Bloom & Gloom 5
Rock Solid Friendship 7
Twilight's Kingdom 4*
Magic Duel 3
It's About Time 2
Magical Mystery Cure 3**
No Second Prances 6
To Where and Back Again 6*
Fame and Misfortune 7
Shadow Play 7*
Sparkle's Seven 9
Student Counsel 9

So in my list of 22 best episodes, seasons have this many each:

1 2
2 3
3 2
4 2 (note: only the opener and finale)
5 6 (note: neither opener nor finale)
6 2
7 3
8 0
9 2 (finale not included in list)

If I absolutely had to cut it to 20, most likely seasons 2, 6, 7, or 9 would lose one.

Kaunisto

Well, to add above, S9 deserves at least one more to the list. But I don't think I'll change the Top 10.
That was kind of silly idea... but what the heck, it's the biggest plot twist ever (in MLP)! And remember what I said about the season opener:
I'm not happy with Grogar, there was no need for one more main villain for last season. It could've been just Chrysalis or Sombra gathering them to join forces (or somehow the Pony of Shadows). And Grogar is sort of too... comic book villain.
Well, that's fixed. Makes the S9 arc part of the whole Discord continuum. Though now, like couple times before, I feel Discord should be put on trial and severely punished in the end - unless he really sacrifices and redeems himself.
And I do love a good fight and this might be best since Twilight vs Tirek.
Only problem now is that after opener I hoped the trio to redeem themselves in the end by turning on Grogar and now... there's really no chance of redemption for Cozy or Chrysalis (I'm more OK with Tirek remaining a villain).

Contrasting to the big twist, the biggest fault in the second half is lack of surprise; it's exactly what you expected. Though I'm a bit disappointed that the Tree(...house, whatever it is now) wasn't involved. And I would've wanted Glimmer to have bigger part - like I've felt she should've last couple seasons been a more integral part of mane 6, kind of like Spike.
All that said, it's an average episode among the 2-parters - many of which are among the best episodes of whole series. Not as surprising as the first half, but there was about everything that should be... plus the Pinky & Brain reference, that really got me.
One big question was what they'd do to the villains in the end - will this be further addressed in the finale? - and the solution is somewhat satisfying. I didn't see that coming and there's nice symmetry. Though it does feel bit excessive. Discord was a clear danger, much more powerful being that had to be contained. The three could've just been put to Tartarus again. But I admit that wouldn't have been satisfying either.
The windigos turned out to be bit of nothing, they could've made a big final threat, maybe even redeeming the villains. Oh well.

The finale is... something what I thought I wanted, but now that I have it I'm not sure. The idea/premise is perfect, execution has some flaws. It's a bit too in your face, could've been more subtle. And that was a whole lot of shipping fuel - while at the same time this gives impression that hardly any of the characters have started families.
It didn't quite get the feels from me like the best of them. Song was just not good enough - there weren't any great songs since Flawless back in S7E14 - and it lacked some real punch. I wish they'd had Moon Dancer, for abig lesson that the student might already have some friends and could end up regretting ignoring them now. Overall the moral is one fault of the episode: they're trying for "friendship lasts"/"friendship is worth it", but it comes out as "friendship is only worth it if it lasts", as if the student is partially right that there wouldn't be point in being friends if it doesn't last.
All that said, it's still a very good episode and a good finale.
It turns out that in my official count the final season was best of all! I'm not entirely happy with that result, in the sense that I don't feel this was best - my scoring system isn't accurate enough. It could be said S9 had unfair advantage of having aside the two 2-parters two other special episodes, 200th and series finale. Anyway, more exact numerical analysis later.

In any case, the series certainly ended to a high note. IMO S9 is one of the three best seasons along S2 and S5.

Kaunisto

Looking at my old (pre-S9) post...
I remember complaining about S7 beginning that they were overusing fan favorite characters, but now that "the end is neigh", it's time to spam them much of final season. Give us Zecora, Trixie, Ember, bring in Gabby, Maud - heck, all Pies - Vinyl and Octavia and Lyra and Bon Bon and as much Muffins as you dare!
Well, have to admit they delivered (even Gabby!), aside the unfortunate lack of rest of the Pie family. I would've liked to have a Pie family episode, them visiting Pinkie and Maud in Ponyville or something.

Icetex

Well to be honest here I'm overly satisfied with s9
Sure some may be quote on quote bad what did you expect for tv-y7 show?

Top Bottom