• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch flags legit PCs as 'Not genuine'

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"This time they've found that its January security updates are bricking Windows 7 devices with an errant 'Not Genuine' Windows license error, and a bug that blocks administrator access to remote shares on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

The issues stem from the Monthly Rollup update, KB4480970, and the security-only update, KB4480960, for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Günter Born's Borncity was first to report the Windows 7 Genuine brick and the separate network share issues bundled in these updates."

Read More--->Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, flags legit PCs as 'Not genuine'
------------------
And this is why I don’t have auto updates turned on.

Has this affected any of you using Windows 7?

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
I have windows 7 on my work laptop, its updates are managed by the corporate tech office, and they force out updates on a regular basis.

So, more than likely, some time next week my work laptop will turn into a bookend.

Howard

No. Every computer I have now uses Windows 10. I got rid of my old laptop which used Windows 7. I gave it away to a friend so she could do her work on it. She needed it for a job and couldn't afford a new one. I guess it was good timing.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
So, more than likely, some time next week my work laptop will turn into a bookend.
Since I'm pretty computer illiterate, please excuse me if this is a dumb question. Could you upgrade for free from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and stop your laptop from bricking?

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
This thing wouldn't pass the test to go to 8.

Plus it is locked from corporate.

AND...

Windows 8 had even worse problems upon release and was the reason they rushed out 10 before it was ready.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
This thing wouldn't pass the test to go to 8.

Plus it is locked from corporate.

AND...

Windows 8 had even worse problems upon release and was the reason they rushed out 10 before it was ready.

Understood and thank you for your reply.

~KAGE-008

*meow*
I'm not affected because my laptop came with 8.1 anyway and also that I upgraded to W10 the day it came out. Almost nobody at college still uses W7 since the development tools we need mostly require W10, such as the Docker virtual machine and SQL Server from 2017 onwards.

Top Bottom