Mentally ill people possessing a gun

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Is it wrong that mentally ill people get charged with felonies for possessing a gun?

Why or why not?

Takoda

That would depend on their reason for possessing the gun. In some cases it would suffice to simply conviscate the weapon.

Beaky

blah
as someone with bipolar meds or not mood swings are unpredictable so my answer is no people with mental health shouldnt have guns

I AM WABI SABI

No, they should be helped but if they hurt or kill someone using the gun then they need to be treated like any other criminal.

Howard

As long as they don't break the law and kill someone. I think they should be given a chance.

SwishUK

Surely the strength of their medication should determine if they have a gun, but also what mental health condition. Some forms of clinical depression and anxiety can be treated with low level medication. Some people are much worse. Yet you can have anti-psychotic medication for those with say paranoid-schizophrenia. Not to say people with these types of conditions are all dangerous, but you assess the risk on an individual basis.

Howard

How about those with said mental issues owning and driving a car?
I agree. I think the problem with mental illness is that it's unpredictable. Anything can become a weapon.

Andrea Yates for example. The murder weapon was a bath tub full of water that she drowned her kids in. She didn't need a gun to kill them.

Top Bottom