Mars Starship SN4 Passes Raptor Engine Test Fire

Snog

While it was only a 2 or 3 second static test fire, the SpaceX Starship passed it's raptor engine test last night.

About 90 minutes after the test, SpaceX founder and Chief Engineer Elon Musk confirmed the test firing was good, saying, "Starship SN4 passed static fire."

The next test will most likely be a short low altitude launch which SpaceX has already filed for permission to have from the FAA. But it will most likely be SN5 that does the launch test.

SN4-with-raptor-800x495.jpg

Snog

The starship SN4 passed a second short static fire test last night. It used the fuel header to fire instead of the main tank this time.

From what I now understand, SN4 will do a short 20km hop. Not Sn5. We'll have to wait and see on that.

Snog

For those interested, but not really following starship...

A couple of days ago, after changing the engine on SN4 they did another static fire. This one almost ended in a RUD (rapid unscheduled disassembly). :(

After this static fire, the area remained closed for a day while they made sure everything was safe.

Snog

A lot happening down in Boca Chica, TX....

May 27th a NOTAM restricting the air space around the test/launch area was issued for June 1st up to 26,000 feet.
hopnotam.png

Yesterday there was another static fire of the engine on SN4...

Shortly after the static fire, SpaceX was granted a 2 year license to launch Starship prototypes from the site (PDF attached).

Attachments

Snog

Well, it looks like there will be no launching of the Starship SN4 after all.

During a static fire test a few minutes ago, SN4 suffered a RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly) otherwise known as an explosion...

sn4-rud1.png

sn4rud2.png

Snog

Video of explosion from multiple cameras....

Snog

this is why they do tests :D
Yep!

The amazing thing I've watched over a long period of time is that SpaceX does things at a speed that hasn't been heard of before in the space industry. They adapt and fix things quickly. The test site is already cleared of rubble and they will probably have a new test/launch stand in place by the end of the week. And it's my guess they will probably have SN5 on the stand by the end of next week.

Snog

End of the decade will be amazing. Especially since they are targeting Starship for the moon by 2022 or 2024. I can only imagine what they'll do by the end of the decade. ;)

Beaky

blah
End of the decade will be amazing. Especially since they are targeting Starship for the moon by 2022 or 2024. I can only imagine what they'll do by the end of the decade. ;)
i think they will definately get to mars by then too

Top Bottom