"Japan 'set to dump contaminated Fukushima water into ocean..."

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
(quoted)
Tokyo Electric is currently running out of tank space at the plant used to store the water waste.

It expects storage will be taken up by mid-2022 and is actively seeking alternatives – one of which is reportedly the ocean.

The South Korean government has now sent a letter to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in opposition to the move.
(end quote)
MORE:

DrLeftover

another source:

The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said last month that it would run out of storage space for the water in 2022, prompting South Korea to raise safety questions amid tensions with Japan that have intensified over trade and history. South Korea was among those represented at Wednesday's briefing.

Water must be continuously pumped into the four melted reactors at the plant so the fuel inside can be kept cool, and radioactive water has leaked from the reactors and mixed with groundwater and rainwater since the disaster.

The plant has accumulated more than 1 million tons of water in nearly 1,000 tanks. The water has been treated but still contains some radioactive elements. One, tritium - a relative of radiation-emitting hydrogen - cannot be separated.

DrLeftover

and

Koreans fear Fukushima radioactive water dump

Top Bottom