It (2017)

Howard

4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: It

Tagline: Your fears are unleashed

Genre: Horror

Director: Andy Muschietti

Cast: Jaeden Lieberher, Bill Skarsgård, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Jack Dylan Grazer, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs, Nicholas Hamilton, Jackson Robert Scott, Owen Teague, Logan Thompson, Jake Sim, Javier Botet, Tatum Lee, Steven Williams, Stephen Bogaert, Geoffrey Pounsett, Pip Dwyer, Ari Cohen, Stuart Hughes, Megan Charpentier, Molly Atkinson, Elizabeth Saunders, Joe Bostick, Anthony Ulc, Katie Lunman, Neil Crone, Sonia Gascón, David Katzenberg, Cyndy Day, Edie Inksetter, Carter Musselman, Aimee Lenihan, Kylie Lenihan, Becky Wolf, Kelly Van der Burg, Martha Gibson, Kasie Rayner, Isabelle Nélisse, Jocelyn Mattka, Don Tripe, Liz Gordon, Paige Rosamond, Janet Porter, Memo Díaz Capt., Chantal Vachon, Roberto Campanella, Kate Moyer

Release: 2017-09-06

Runtime: 135

Plot: In a small town in Maine, seven children known as The Losers Club come face to face with life problems, bullies and a monster that takes the shape of a clown called Pennywise.

McConnaughay

I enjoyed this film. I'll have to re-watch it in-order to fully articulate my thoughts in its regards, but, all in all, I had a lot of fun with it in the theaters. It made me remember all those years watching A Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid. I did a video review of it way back if you'd be interested in hearing more of my thoughts.

Bluezone777

I honestly thought the 1990 version was a lot better then this one. There was a certain sort of charm that Tim Curry brought to the character of Pennywise the clown that the actor who did the character for the new movie just didn't have. It's not to say the new version isn't a good movie but simply that I think the original was just done better.

McConnaughay

I honestly thought the 1990 version was a lot better then this one. There was a certain sort of charm that Tim Curry brought to the character of Pennywise the clown that the actor who did the character for the new movie just didn't have. It's not to say the new version isn't a good movie but simply that I think the original was just done better.
I thought the 1990 version had its moments, but I don't believe it holds up especially well. Although I don't personally agree with you that the 90's version is as good as the latest iteration, I can reasonably see how you would think the first-half of the miniseries is better than IT: Chapter One. If we ask my opinion on the miniseries, as said, I'd say it had its moments, but it had a lot of flaws and didn't have the fangs the latest film had. But, at the same time, I enjoyed the kids in that film, and unlike IT: Chapter One, which had certain kids I didn't like (one in-particular being the foul-mouthed kid in the film, who, to his credit, is very good in Stranger Things) and short-changed Mike's development, I liked most of the kids in the 90's version.

The second-half of the miniseries, however, I thought was cheesy and downright awful. "Taste battery acid, you slime!" The first half wasn't exactly played straight and the same can be said about the new film, but, at least some of that can be chalked up to it being children not realizing the severity of the situation and nervously reacting out of fear. In the adult part, however, we have characters that, for all extensive purposes, know that what lurks in the sewers is a monstrous entity that is killing children. And yet, it shows the characters riding around on their bicycles, putting cards on the spokes, and shooting the breeze, and it all comes together in what I felt was a really disproportionate, tonally uneven mash that never builds momentum.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Top Bottom