Issues finding workers

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Why do you think businesses (in America or elsewhere) having such issues finding workers?

Is the shortage due to COVID deaths/illnesses, people finding better jobs after being laid off last year, an unwillingness to work, or something else?

Angel

No Drama Zone!
people finding better jobs after being laid off last year, an unwillingness to work, or something else?
I think it's a little of all of the above. But also people are having a hard time finding childcare. Even when they find it, if one person tests positive with COVID the whole place closes down.

I think now that that don't have that extra $300 connected to unemployment that a lot of people will start looking for work since their unemployment will be less.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
I happened to be at a business recently that had the assistant manager asking people if they needed a job.

I asked about the hours and pay.... it was, as she related, a variable schedule including some nights, sometimes a split shift, at fifty cents over minimum wage after probation, and up to seven hours a day, and thirty hours a week.

Translation: you're not going to be full time, you'll never see benefit one, there will never be a union, and you'll be lucky to last long enough to get that raise.

I told her it sounded OK, but I lived fifty miles away and that was a bit far to drive for that.

Howard

I happened to be at a business recently that had the assistant manager asking people if they needed a job.

I asked about the hours and pay.... it was, as she related, a variable schedule including some nights, sometimes a split shift, at fifty cents over minimum wage after probation, and up to seven hours a day, and thirty hours a week.

Translation: you're not going to be full time, you'll never see benefit one, there will never be a union, and you'll be lucky to last long enough to get that raise.

I told her it sounded OK, but I lived fifty miles away and that was a bit far to drive for that.

I see why you didn't take it. Everyone deserves to make a living. It's not fair that these corporate business's rip everyone off. They're gonna have to sweeten the pot if they want workers.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
I see why you didn't take it. Everyone deserves to make a living. It's not fair that these corporate business's rip everyone off. They're gonna have to sweeten the pot if they want workers.

Wasn't "a corporation" per se, it was a local franchise gas station/stop and rob type store in a small town.

Top Bottom