• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

How Do I Remove Avast?

Jazzy

Forum Admin
I'm using Windows 7 and Chrome as my browser.

Avast does not play nicely with Chrome (causes very slow load) and I want to completely remove Avast from my computer. I'm using the free version of Avast if that matters.

Does anyone know the proper steps I need follow to accomplish this?

~KAGE-008

*meow*
Psalms' suggestion is right. I once had to remove Avast just to reinstall again because it was making my laptop slow. Something corrupted the files associated to it apparently.

Ajay

After removing, do you have something else you would want to use?

I've always suggested Microsoft Security Essentials to those running Windows 7. It's free and from Microsoft. Never had any real performance issues with it.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
CCleaner might be able to uninstall it if it refuses to cooperate with the control panel option.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Just an update. I tried to uninstall via control panel and it refuses to complete the uninstall process. Now, I'm going to have to research as to why.

MoreCoffee

@Keranov: I downloaded the tool and it worked! Thank you very much!
I use Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.1 on my computers and I do not run any extra antivirus software. Windows 10 has its own AV software that works well enough, is free, and is light weight. And most web browsers have native or add on AV like tools that are usually fast and efficient so tools like Avast seem kind of heavy weight and unnecessary to me in Windows.

Under Linux I don't use an AV. It may be a little unsafe at times, but I do not instally software unless it comes from the virus-checked repositories and mostly I do not install extra software anyway because Linux Mint 19.1 came with pretty well everything I needed except for a few slightly eccentric tools like a VoIP utility to enable to me use my computer's microphone and speakers as a telephone.

Top Bottom