• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Hollywood Stars Implicated In College Admissions Fraud Case

Webster

Yahoo News: Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among those charged in nationwide college admissions cheating scam

Hollywood actors, including Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, and a slew of chief executives are among 50 people charged in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, according to court records unsealed in Boston Tuesday.

Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.

"Beginning in or about 2011, and continuing through the present, the defendants -- principally individuals whose high-school age children were applying to college -- conspired with others to use bribery and other forms of fraud to facilitate their children's admission to colleges and universities in the District of Massachusetts and elsewhere, including Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California, and the University of Southern California -- Los Angeles," the indictment said.

In most cases the students did not know their admission was contingent on a bribe, officials said.

The 200 pages of charging documents in the case were unsealed in Boston federal court.

According to the charging papers, Huffman "made a purported charitable contribution of $15,000 ... to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter." "Huffman later made arrangements to pursue the scheme a second time, for her younger daughter, before deciding not to do so," the documents allege.

Federal agents secretly recorded telephone calls with Huffman and a cooperating witness, according to the court papers.

The documents say actress Lori Loughlin -- best known for her role as Aunt Becky on the ABC sitcom "Full House" -- and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team -- despite the fact that they did not participate in crew -- thereby facilitating their admission to USC."

Federal agents obtained emails from Loughlin implicating her in the scam, according to the documents.

Federal authorities ultimately had three cooperating witnesses to help them build their case. One of the cooperating witnesses is a founder of the non-profit Key Worldwide Foundation based in California and another worked as the director of college exam prep at a prep school and sports academy in Bradenton, Florida, according to the court papers.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Loughlin's daughter on her YT channel said:

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she shared with her nearly 2 million subscribers, after explaining her extensive work schedule. “But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
-----------------------------------------
Her parents paid all that money just so she could party and tailgate. FFS.

jy55

I really don't like this - including what happened with W. Bush. I mean, W. was a nice guy - but, obviously, he got strings pulled to get into places that ordinary people would have to fight hard to get into.

Webster

...here's pretty much how the scheme worked, everyone.....

(CNN) Officials with the FBI and the Department of Justice, as well as the US Attorney for the District of Massachusetts, just detailed how the massive college admissions cheating scam worked.

A man named Rick Singer is at the center of it all, prosecutors alleged: He set up a non-profit, and parents came to his organization for help getting their kids into college.

From there, there were two routes Singer and parents would take, officials said:
--Test scores: Singer would have some retake students' SAT and ACT exams, changing answers to get a higher score. In some cases, parents and Singer would arrange for students to see a therapist, who could sign off on allowing more time for the exams.
--Athletics: Singer was in contact with coaches at the universities, and he arranged for students to be admitted through the athletic route — even faking pictures of the students as athletes.

TRUE LIBERTY

I posted this in world news before I saw this. Anyways I’m quite enjoying seeing dozens of leftist elitists for decades who told us how much better they are than us regular people and how we should be living our lives go down in flames. I truly hope they do real jail time.

Snog

This just goes to show how times change. Things like this have been going on forever and just now in 2019 it's being brought forth as illegal.

Relatives of alumni (especially upper class alumni) have always received preferential admission to most universities.
Donators (or their children) have always received preferential admission to most universities.

So far as the SAT, ACT scores being altered, I've never heard of that before but I wouldn't be totally shocked to find out it's been going on for a very long time too.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
This is California in a nutshell (pun? what pun?) with its two classes of people.

Bluezone777

Loughlin's daughter on her YT channel said:

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she shared with her nearly 2 million subscribers, after explaining her extensive work schedule. “But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
-----------------------------------------
Her parents paid all that money just so she could party and tailgate. FFS.
Just think that nearly two million people subscribe to her channel to hear such compelling things as the above. Really says something about this generation and where it's heading with what is found fascinating by said generation.

Webster

Top Bottom