Have you ever had to quit a hobby?

Kaynil

I was watching an interview with George Carlin and he made the distinction between interests and hobbies, saying he had only interests because hobbies cost money. To be honest I hadn't thought of it like that. I just would use hobby for everything, but that also got me thinking on just how much time, money and effort we can end up spending with hobbies. Someone once told me that a hobby should be for your free time and if it is interfering with things that you should be doing, then it is time to stop and reevaluate our routines.

I guess there can also be the case the hobby is just not as enticing anymore, becomes harder to obtain the materials or find people for it, etc.

So, have you guys ever reached a point where you had to quit any of your hobbies?

Howard

I used to love to draw and do arts and crafts. But I quit because my art teacher in high school said that my art would never amount to anything. She even gave me a D in her class. It was very discouraging and ever since than I've developed a mental block and just can't do it anymore.

Aura

Guitar. Tremors got to bad I can't hold plectrum anymore.
Last year I started to learn the Bouzouki and find that so much easier.

Kaynil

Guitar. Tremors got to bad I can't hold plectrum anymore.
Last year I started to learn the Bouzouki and find that so much easier.
I am sorry to hear that you couldn't continue with the guitar but I find pretty kick arse that you started something else and I really hope you enjoy mastering the bouzouki. There are so many instruments in the world but we tend to only hear the few common ones, so I find it pretty exciting. I've never heard a bouzouki.

I used to love to draw and do arts and crafts. But I quit because my art teacher in high school said that my art would never amount to anything. She even gave me a D in her class. It was very discouraging and ever since than I've developed a mental block and just can't do it anymore.
Howard that's horrible, no teacher should do that. Drawing takes practice like everything to develop your skills. If you like drawing and crafts I wouldn't really want you to quit them. If you enjoy them and keep on doing it you will keep improving AND if you already were proud fo your arts and drawings and you like them the way they are then your teacher can go and suck a lemon. Art is all about creativity so it is subjective.
I bet your teacher would tell the same to the guy who drew this:
PabloPicassoDonQuixote.jpg
and that is Pablo Picasso. Many know him for his unorthodox art but as you can see in the painting I chose as the link in his name, the man started up being hyper-realistic, ruled by perfectionism. Trying to make pictures that looked almost like pictures, He decided to screw that noise and rather than just trying to reflect reality to paint it to express his feelings. he admired the spontaneity of children.

"The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?"

"Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we don't start measuring her limbs. ”

It took me four years to paint like
Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.

So please, don't let the opinion of one bitter person tell you what your art should look like or if you have any chance or not to amount to anything. Go visit an art museum and just see how diverse it is. We all got our own interpretations, so don't be afraid to explore and find yours.

Aura

Well that is a greek zouk. I play an Irish one. However my tuning is set up like Steve Knightley's (Show of Hands) so more like a Mandocello.

Top Bottom