Halloween (2007)

Lee

2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Halloween

Tagline: Evil. Unmasked.

Genre: Horror

Director: Rob Zombie

Cast: Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Daeg Faerch, Tyler Mane, Scout Taylor-Compton, Sheri Moon Zombie, William Forsythe, Danielle Harris, Kristina Klebe, Udo Kier, Danny Trejo, Skyler Gisondo, Tom Towles, Bill Moseley, Leslie Easterbrook, Richard Lynch, Lew Temple, Pat Skipper, Ken Foree, Sybil Danning, Micky Dolenz, Daniel Roebuck, Sid Haig, Hanna Hall, Dee Wallace, Steve Boyles, Clint Howard, Jenny Gregg Stewart, Adam Weisman, Sydnie Pitzer, Myla Pitzer, Stella Altman, Max Van Ville, Nick Mennell, Daryl Sabara, Richmond Arquette

Release: 2007-08-31

Runtime: 109

Plot: After being committed for 17 years, Michael Myers, now a grown man and still very dangerous, escapes from the mental institution (where he was committed as a 10 year old) and he immediately returns to Haddonfield, where he wants to find his baby sister, Laurie. Anyone who crosses his path is in mortal danger

Kaunisto

Even Malcolm McDowell doesn't make it as great as original, but among remakes this quite decent.
Though I do hate it when sequels/prequels/remakes give characters backgrounds when they were better left untold.

Howard

No, just no. It sucked. I think Robb Zombie should stick to rock and roll rather than try to remake old classics into shittier versions of the films former self.

T

Tyler

Of all 'horror movies' Halloween is probably my favourite. I don't really enjoy horror movies to be honest...but I love halloween and the movie.

McConnaughay

Halloween (remake) is arguably the most successful of the slasher reboots, in the sense that it was actually able to usher in a sequel. The critical reception, however, is mixed-to-negative at best. A lot of the criticisms had to do with Rob Zombie's work as a director and the story itself.

Rob Zombie isn't a horrible director, but he's definitely not for everybody and he definitely has a lot of faults. For starters, a lack of maturity in his work brings it all down for the worst, mostly shown through the character dialogue and the overtly hillbilly aesthetic. This worked for The Devil's Rejects, but the novelty wears off.

I do admire some of what he tried to do with the Michael Myers character, particularly what was seen through the use of Malcolm's character, but for the most part, it's a bust. Whether humanizing Michael was a mistake is subjective. Obviously, the best aspect about Myers is the mystery and anonymity around him, the personification of evil with neither rhyme nor reason. At the same time, I understand that he wanted to re-imagine Michael Myers. The problem, to me, isn't in the act, but the execution, the character's are underdeveloped and ridiculously over-the-top in the presentation. He has a bad life. Let's show bad things happen to him. And then, more bad things. Don't you see why he's bad now!?

To keep it short, Halloween is another of the films I've looked at today (Elm Street and Friday the 13th) that isn't terrible, but isn't very good. I would go out on a limb and say it's my favorite of the three and is the most ambitious as well. Rob Zombie may not have succeeded, but I can clearly see he did have a vision for it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Top Bottom