Guy kills endangered bear

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
It’s safe to say that Chris Keown was pretty freaked out after watching Leonardo Di Caprio get mauled by a bear in The Revenant.

So much so that when he saw a black bear near his Missouri home a few weeks later, he hunted and killed the animal – because he feared a Revenant-style attack on his eight-year-old son.

The 40-year-old pursued and shot the bear, a protected species in the US state, even after it ran away when he opened the front door.

Oh, and Keown said he would do it again if a bear is foolish enough to wander close to his property.

He told the St Louis Post-Dispatch: ‘I’m sorry that I did do it. My adrenaline was pumping.

‘About three weeks before that, we watched The Revenant and it was just going through my mind.’

Asked if he would kill the protected species again, Keown said: ‘Depends on where I see him. If I see him right here, I’m going to kill him.’

The factory worker said he was scared the animal would attack his son Hunter, who rides his bike and plays outside their house but was inside at the time of the bear sighting.

Keown said he ‘thought it was a grizzly’ and did not know black bears were protected.

After shooting the bear while it sat in a ditch, he skinned it, leaving the head and hide in the woods and giving the paws and meat to a friend.

Larry Yamnitz, protections division chief for the Missouri Conservation Department, noted that bears are ‘afraid of humans’ and said ‘he should have let it go’.

Keown pleaded guilty and paid a $99.50 (£75) fine and $103.50 (£78) in court costs.

Missouri is home to an estimated 300 to 400 black bears.
Thoughts?

APS

Unarmed
Bear may have been protected but is that all it was worth ?

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Poaching is Poaching.

A Movie is a Movie.

Stupid is Stupid.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
If it comes down to a bear vs. a human....I'm sorry, the bear will lose. Every. Single. Time.
The 40-year-old pursued and shot the bear, a protected species in the US state, even after it ran away when he opened the front door. After shooting the bear while it sat in a ditch he skinned it, leaving the head and hide in the woods and giving the paws and meat to a friend.
Where was the threat here or am I missing something?

Webster

Where was the threat here or am I missing something?
No threat there, but as I said earlier, if it comes down to human vs. bear, @Jazzy ...the bear will lose. Here's another thought: why have things gotten to the point where we interact w/nature in the myriad of ways that we do? Is it any wonder bears and other wild creatures are losing their innate fear of humans?

Jazzy

Forum Admin
No threat there, but as I said earlier, if it comes down to human vs. bear, @Jazzy ...the bear will lose. Here's another thought: why have things gotten to the point where we interact w/nature in the myriad of ways that we do? Is it any wonder bears and other wild creatures are losing their innate fear of humans?
I lived in black bear country before I moved where I am now. My house backed the state forest. I would see black bears all the time. Why? The more the developers took away their natural habitat, the more they had to look elsewhere for food. It's humans that are to blame here and not the bears. In all the years I lived there, I had plenty of encounters with black bears on my property. All I had to do was yell out my door or window and they moved on. Never in the years that I lived there was there any reports of bears attacking humans. So, yeah, let's keep invading their natural habitat and then blame the bears for it.

R

Rooster

"Keown said he ‘thought it was a grizzly’ and did not know black bears were protected."

So, didn't know black bears were protected, but he thought it was a grizzly...

So he didn't think grizzly bears were protected?

Is this his defense? :LOL:

Top Bottom