Girl, 12, branded ‘murderer’ after posing with giraffe and zebra she killed

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"A 12-year-old girl has posted photos of herself hunting giraffes and zebras, sparking outrage online.

Aryanna Gourdin and her dad Eli travelled from Utah in the US to South Africa specifically to hunt big game.

While there, she posted a photo on Facebook of herself posing next to a dead zebra with a pink quiver and set of arrows.
13882175_738207479650620_7814559485923269210_n.jpg
‘One of my dream hunts for sure,’ she wrote.

Unsurprisingly, the photos sparked a massive backlash. One had more than 73,000 comments, with people calling her ‘sick’ and an ‘animal hater’.

Aryanna told ABC News afterwards: ‘It’s something I cherish and enjoy, and I want other people to see what I experienced.’

She also posted a lengthy defence of trophy hunting, claiming that the activity is justified because the high prices people pay to kill the animals is donated to conservation efforts.

Commenting on her post, the page We Will Not Be Silenced About Hunters replied: ‘Meanwhile here in South Africa… (Trophy hunters go home, we do NOT want you here). You can try and fool people overseas who don’t know a whole lot about South Africa or the African continent for that matter, but you will NEVER – I repeat, NEVER fool those of us who are here and who work with REAL conservation projects.’

And Will Travers OBE, president and CEO of major conservation charity Born Free Foundation, told Metro.co.uk: ‘What a tragedy. As a parent, I believe we all hope our children will grow up to be compassionate and caring individuals.

It appalls me to see a child killing an animal for “fun” and whose future will be scarred by death and destruction. If only we could talk, maybe she would look at things through different eyes.

But Aryanna later posted another photo, of herself posing with a dead giraffe.
aryanna-gourdin-facebook.jpg

‘I would never back down from hunting,’ she told the network’s Good Morning America programme. ‘I am a hunter, and no matter what people say to me, I’m never going to stop.’"

Source

Thoughts?

otis booard

"Levotur5" by Ondraid Kots
I didn't realise hunting big game was still legal, surely it should be criminalised.

J

Justbec

I can't believe it is legal either. She and her father should be ashamed.

APS

Unarmed
"‘I am a hunter, and no matter what people say to me, I’m never going to stop.’"

Lets hope an animal stops her then.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
A hunter kills for food not for fun. This is not hunting, this is killing innocent animals just because she and her dad paid money to do it. Shame on both of them. I also agree this should not be legal.

Webster

Once again, Western arrogance over trophy hunting strikes again....did any of y'all think to ask the local villages in Africa their opinions on the practice? For that matter, who the hell are we to tell hunters what they should be allowed to do or not do while on a hunt? Not every hunter goes out to hunt for food and as long as they know the rules and laws of the area they're hunting in, more power to them. :mad:

APS

Unarmed
Once again, Western arrogance over trophy hunting strikes again....did any of y'all think to ask the local villages in Africa their opinions on the practice? For that matter, who the hell are we to tell hunters what they should be allowed to do or not do while on a hunt? Not every hunter goes out to hunt for food and as long as they know the rules and laws of the area they're hunting in, more power to them. :mad:

Well if your happy for the Animal kingdom to be wiped out just for fun then so be it.
A lot of us however prefer to keep the animals

Last edited:

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Once again, Western arrogance over trophy hunting
Killing contests
"SCI members kill particular species of animals to win so-called ‘Grand Slam’ and ‘Inner Circle’ titles. SCI members take short cuts in their hurry to beat competitors by killing captive and defenseless animals in canned hunts, both in the United States and in other countries. Corruption and unethical behavior is rampant in this bloodthirsty competition. “Hunters” lure animals to their guns with bait, shoot them from helicopters or vehicles with spotlights, or in or near national parks."

@Webster: You still going to call this hunting?

Top Bottom