• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Site Issue - Resolved Flood Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

Is there even a point of using it these days? Back in the day (god I sound old) it was useful to help slow spam bots down meaning you have less to clear up. These days though with spam protection pretty solid, is there any need for it?

Flood Control is good to use because there could be spammers out there who might join this forum to spam like advertise everywhere around the forum. I've seen it happen multiple times on other forums so I don't think its a good idea to turn it off completely maybe lower it down to 15 seconds.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Flood Control is good to use because there could be spammers out there who might join this forum to spam like advertise everywhere around the forum. I've seen it happen multiple times on other forums so I don't think its a good idea to turn it off completely maybe lower it down to 15 seconds.
Agreed.

Snog

Sorry, I had to override this one and turn it back on.

Flood control being disabled seems to allow duplicate posts in some forums. If they happen again with flood control turned on, I'll review it again.

Vengeance

Creatively influx.
There's no way to reduce the time that spam control is set to? To something more reasonable such as 3-5 seconds? I'm posting multiple sentences; but, I usually post by having multiple tabs open to threads that interest me and reply to them in rapid fashion.

Snog

I usually post by having multiple tabs open to threads that interest me and reply to them in rapid fashion.
This is exactly what causes duplicate posts in some forums. ;)

Especially in forums where the server must contact another site for post information. The delay involved in doing that can result in accidental duplicate posts because the first one is not yet posted when the second one is started. Since contacting other sites can be a time consuming thing, it may or may not be possible to reduce the flood control time.

In the next few days, I will start slowly reducing the flood control time to see if we can reach a happy medium. But 1 to 2 seconds won't ever be a choice, I can guarantee that because it takes at least that long to establish a connection with another server.

Last edited:

Vengeance

Creatively influx.
How though? They aren't the same threads and if it doesn't post the thread or seems to be slow in responding, I usually refresh or perform a search before trying to start the thread again. So you're saying that regardless of these precautions that it would still possibly start multiple threads?

Snog

How though? They aren't the same threads and if it doesn't post the thread or seems to be slow in responding, I usually refresh or perform a search before trying to start the thread again. So you're saying that regardless of these precautions that it would still possibly start multiple threads?
To be perfectly honest with you, the only way I could duplicate what we were seeing with flood control disabled was by delaying connection to the other servers/sites and either refreshing or posting the same link multiple times. And that is the key, any delay in connecting to the external server/site could cause someone to believe there is a problem causing them to either repost, or hit refresh (and respond to a message something like 'The data must be resent').

I'll give a fairly basic explanation what happened when I simulated what was happening here...
1) I supplied a link or ID when creating a thread and click create thread
2) A program starts and checks if that ID was already posted
3) If it hasn't been posted, the program continues and connects to the other server
4) If the other server/site doesn't respond quick enough and I repost the same link, a second task starts at 1 and starts another thread being posted.
5) Both instances of the program continue to run and post the same information resulting in a duplicate thread.

This is exactly what we were seeing here. It is purely accidental and not something that could normally be done when flood control is enabled. The duplicate posts could not take place because it is prevented by flood control.

Vengeance

Creatively influx.
I see, makes sense. That's the problem with using some of the more advanced, fancier mods and such that provide all of the information for you in threads. Guess it comes with the territory.

Lee

As a medium, could you not disable flood control everywhere other than the media forums which require external communication?

Snog

As a medium, could you not disable flood control everywhere other than the media forums which require external communication?
Unfortunately that's not possible with the forum software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom