• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

First Fatal Self-driving Car Accident Reported

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
The first death from a self-driving car has been reported, involving a Tesla S.
ad_211506340.jpg
Its driver had activated autopilot, intended to assist driving rather than take over completely.

But neither the victim nor the technology spotted the trailer coming towards them as it was camouflaged against the sky, Tesla said.

In a statement, the electric car company said: ‘This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles.

‘Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles.’

‘Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied.’

The car passed under the trailer and was then struck in the windscreen.

‘Had the Model S impacted the front or rear of the trailer, even at high speed, its advanced crash safety system would likely have prevented serious injury as it has in numerous other similar incidents,’ Tesla said.

‘The customer who died in this crash had a loving family and we are beyond saddened by their loss.

‘He was a person who spent his life focused on innovation and the promise of technology and who believed strongly in Tesla’s mission.’
I don't think I would ever trust a self-driving car. Would you?

APS

Unarmed
I would much rather do the driving myself seeing as I've been doing it for 49 years.

Dee

It's not a self-driving car, it's a feature. The driver still has and should have the responsibility of actually driving the car if not still being alert and watching out for any potential dangers. It's a very new technology we're still researching and experimenting with, and as tragic as this is the driver should've known to be alert.

Worldwide

The one thing that this technology does not address is the fact that people actually enjoy driving. Well I do, I would never get one of Thais cars simply because I like driving.

Top Bottom