• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Felon Voting

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Proponents of felon re-enfranchisement say that felons who have paid their debt to society by completing their sentences should have all of their rights and privileges restored. They argue that efforts to block ex-felons from voting are unfair, undemocratic, and politically or racially motivated.

Opponents say felon voting restrictions are consistent with other voting limitations such as age, residency, sanity, etc., and other felon restrictions such as no guns for violent offenders and no sex offenders near schools. They say that convicted felons have demonstrated poor judgment and should not be trusted with a vote.

Debate question: Should felons who have completed their sentence (incarceration, probation, and parole) be allowed to vote? (Why/Why not)

APS

Unarmed
Yes they should or if they wont allow them to vote then they shouldn't take taxes from them if they get a job.

TRUE LIBERTY

If people think felons should vote then they should agree felons.........

who raped children should be allowed to teach little children.

People who used a gun in a crime should be allowed to own a gun again.

A drunk driver who killed people should be allowed to become a school bus driver if they so choose.

If you disagree then you are a hypocrite because voting can change peoples lives drastically and you want to give this right to a person who could not follow the law then you can't pick and choose which rights you want to give back.

APS

Unarmed
So using your logic True Liberty one mistake and your totally abandoned to a life of crime.

Snog

If you disagree then you are a hypocrite because voting can change peoples lives drastically and you want to give this right to a person who could not follow the law then you can't pick and choose which rights you want to give back.
Sorry, I do disagree...

By saying only non-felons should be allowed to vote, you are taking away their right to influence their own life. You have no more or less of a right to influence their life than they have to influence yours.

You would also be surprised by what is considered a felony and the fact that many 'convicted felons' were convicted on a plea deal because they quite simply ran out of money to defend themselves. I'm not saying that's the case for all convictions, but it happens more often than you might think.

And before someone brings up a 'Public Defender' here in the US, that is a joke. If you are working, there is absolutely no chance of getting a public defender. You either have to have no income or be behind bars where you can't work to get a public defender. Even if someone is living paycheck to paycheck with no left over income, a public defender will not be assigned to them while they are working.

Last edited:

TRUE LIBERTY

Sorry, I do disagree...

By saying only non-felons should be allowed to vote, you are taking away their right to influence their own life.

Ya, that is the whole point when you break the law just like any other law like losing your 2nd amendment rights.

You have no more or less of a right to influence their life than they have to influence yours.

Sure I do! LOL! If they break the law just like a convicted child molester can't live within a certain distance of a school.

You would also be surprised by what is considered a felony and the fact that many 'convicted felons' were convicted on a plea deal because they quite simply ran out of money to defend themselves.

Then work on changing the law on what is considered a felony until then you have to live with the consequences you broke the law no matter how inconsequential you think it is.

I'm not saying that's the case for all convictions, but it happens more often than you might think.

That is tough luck, the justice system is not perfect.

And before someone brings up a 'Public Defender' here in the US, that is a joke.

But yet you can still use them.

If you are working, there is absolutely no chance of getting a public defender. You either have to have no income or be behind bars where you can't work to get a public defender. Even if someone is living paycheck to paycheck with no left over income, a public defender will not be assigned to them while they are working.

I am no expert but if you tell the court you are going to defend yourself because you are broke, they are not going to risk a mistrial and not assign you a public defender. Anyways even if I am wrong that is besides the point. If you do not like what is considered a felony then change the system on what is considered a felony but restoring voting rights no way!

TRUE LIBERTY

So using your logic True Liberty one mistake and your totally abandoned to a life of crime.
Where did I say that? You can still go into life and make something of yourself. Just like most serious crimes there are consequences you pay for even after you leave jail.

Snog

I am no expert but if you tell the court you are going to defend yourself because you are broke, they are not going to risk a mistrial and not assign you a public defender. Anyways even if I am wrong that is besides the point.
I've seen it happen in a court where a defendant is told if they are working they can afford a lawyer and they are ordered to get one by the next hearing date. Public defender denied.

If you do not like what is considered a felony then change the system on what is considered a felony but restoring voting rights no way!
Yes that's so easy to say. But in reality when 'popular' laws need to be changed there's no politician alive that would touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Did you know that if you've ever urinated in public quite a few states could charge you with a felony that could land you on the sex offender list? Common, just about every guy I know has done that at some point in their life.

Did you know that in Delaware if you spank your child you could be charged with a felony? Really, that explains a lot about why most kids have no discipline in public places today.

Those are just two examples of very minor things that can be charged as a felony. Do they warrant someone losing their right to vote?

TRUE LIBERTY

I've seen it happen in a court where a defendant is told if they are working they can afford a lawyer and they are ordered to get one by the next hearing date. Public defender denied.

Yes that's so easy to say. But in reality when 'popular' laws need to be changed there's no politician alive that would touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Did you know that if you've ever urinated in public quite a few states could charge you with a felony that could land you on the sex offender list? Common, just about every guy I know has done that at some point in their life.

Did you know that in Delaware if you spank your child you could be charged with a felony? Really, that explains a lot about why most kids have no discipline in public places today.

Those are just two examples of very minor things that can be charged as a felony. Do they warrant someone losing their right to vote?
I agree. I do not agree with any of these laws should be felonies but like everything else in America with the stupid things our politicians have done we seem to want to take the easy way out to try and fix a problem that creates all new ones. And giving felons where a majority are not good people the right to vote again is no solution.

Snog

And giving felons where a majority are not good people the right to vote again is no solution.
The ones that aren't good people would have no interest in voting. The ones that are turning or have turned their lives around are the ones that would be interested.

I think we need to agree to disagree. ;)

BTW: I just noticed your avatar. Good book, good movies. And mostly coming true today. :D

TRUE LIBERTY

The ones that aren't good people would have no interest in voting. The ones that are turning or have turned their lives around are the ones that would be interested.

I think we need to agree to disagree. ;)

BTW: I just noticed your avatar. Good book, good movies. And mostly coming true today. :D
Sure they would. Those people want the free stuff the left wants to give to them and the left wants those losers to vote so they can give them the free stuff. What we need is a major evolutionary change in government not these little steps that just make life that much worse in the end.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
You still want your Congress-critter to be able to vote for themselves.... don't you?

U.S. Representative Brown charged with fraud: Justice Department

U.S. Representative Corrine Brown, a Democrat from Florida, and her chief of staff were indicted on Friday for their roles in a scheme involving a fraudulent education charity, the U.S. Justice Department said.

The department said Brown and Elias Simmons were charged in a 24-count indictment with participating in a conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, theft of government property, filing false tax returns and other crimes.
U.S. Representative Brown charged with fraud: Justice Department

--

TRUE LIBERTY

Got no problem with that; voting's the topic here, Liberty... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I know what the topic is just saying if you restore one right for jail time you gotta restore all of them. So if it ever happened I will make sure all the armed robbers who got out of jail head to your neck of the woods.

Webster

I know what the topic is just saying if you restore one right for jail time you gotta restore all of them. So if it ever happened I will make sure all the armed robbers who got out of jail head to your neck of the woods.
What, so I can shoot a few of them and blame it on you, Liberty?:LOL::LOL::LOL: *mutters under his breath....* ....j******....

APS

Unarmed
I know what the topic is just saying if you restore one right for jail time you gotta restore all of them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the moment you open the prison gates and let them out that's the first right restored,freedom.

Top Bottom