• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Fear Of Flying

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Are you afraid to fly? If yes but yet you have flown on an airplane, how did you get over the fear?

APS

Unarmed
Not afraid of flying at all first flight was age 11 with the school across to France.
We all had to help wind the elastic band up :D

Jazzy

Forum Admin
My first flight was from JFK in NY to Heathrow in the UK. It was a 7 hour flight and I was petrified. What I did was booked the Red Eye flight that left JFK at midnight. I stayed up all day long so that I was exhausted by the time the flight took off. I was scared when I boarded the plane but as soon as we took off, I got a pillow and blanket. The next thing I remembered was being woken up by the announcement that we were landing. I did the same thing going back to JFK.

APS

Unarmed
I remember the first time I flew back to Birmingham from Belfast I sat at the rear of the plane it's roughly a 45 min flight.
When trolley reached me I asked for Coffee.
No sooner got it than Bing Bong "please fasten your seat belts as we are about to land"
God that Coffee was hot :)

APS

Unarmed
My first flight was from JFK in NY to Heathrow in the UK. It was a 7 hour flight and I was petrified. What I did was booked the Red Eye flight that left JFK at midnight. I stayed up all day long so that I was exhausted by the time the flight took off. I was scared when I boarded the plane but as soon as we took off, I got a pillow and blanket. The next thing I remembered was being woken up by the announcement that we were landing. I did the same thing going back to JFK.
I've never been on a plane long enough to go to sleep.

Dee

I've got a fear of flying and I have not gotten over it yet. The last time I was on an airplane was when I was 16. We were flying back from Amsterdam and there was very nasty turbulence over Lake Michigan. We dropped altitude quite a bit and there was tremendous shaking. At that age, I was old enough to realize how high up and how fast we were going, so it registered and I freaked out, developed a fear of flying. I only flew once more after that time and said no more after.

S

Shortie861

Never been on a plane but I would love to one day. I do worry about flying and I guess a lot of us do now with the way is and I guess in a sense I do have a fear of flying because of that but I will not let it get to me or prevent me from flying.

Ghoul

Fortunately I'm not afraid of flying. I'd be surprised if I was though after going from England to New Zealand and back 3 times.

Howard

I've flown several times in my life on an airline. It makes me very nervous thinking what if the plane might crash?

S

Shortie861

I've flown several times in my life on an airline. It makes me very nervous thinking what if the plane might crash?
I guess that is what always worries me even though I have not been on a plane yet. I guess the key is to just knock any bad thoughts out of your head and enjoy the flight. They still say flying is the safest form of transport despite all the terror related problems in the past.

April

Resident Readaholic
I wouldn't necessary say I'm afraid to fly, but I don't like the landing, that's the hardest part for me. Especially if it's been raining or there's snow/ice on the ground. I usually close my eyes with a sort of death-grip on the arms of my seat and just focus on something else entirely until it's over.

I fly twice a year (guaranteed, because I visit my hometown, which is 1600 miles from where I live, in July for my nephew's birthday, then around Christmas to celebrate that with my family) so I've gotten used to it by now.

My first flight was when I was 17, to London from New Jersey and that was a 9 hour flight, but I wasn't that scared because I had my mom with me and she calmed me down a bit, just knowing that she was next to me. :)

Evil Eye

Well-Known Stalker
When I dwell on the idea, it doesn't sound too appealing. Same with any form of transport that's faster than a bike, I guess.
But no, I'm not really afraid of flying.

Top Bottom