Farage: Obama Helpful In Brexit Vote

Webster

(The Guardian) Farage: Obama 'helpful' in Brexit vote
--Nigel Farage, the former leader of the UK Independence party, has claimed that Barack Obama was unwittingly responsible for pushing Britain out of the European Union, reports Guardian Washington correspondent David Smith:

“I’m a huge fan of Barack Obama,” Farage said on Wednesday during a visit to the Republican national convention in Cleveland. “Without him we wouldn’t have won the referendum. He was very helpful.”

The US president visited London in April and made an impassioned plea to Britons to remain in the EU. The UK would be at the “back of the queue” in any trade deal with the US, he warned, speaking alongside David Cameron. The leave victory in last month’s Brexit referendum caught the White House by surprise.

Farage, speaking at a fringe event after meeting Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee, chairman of the Senate foreign relations committee, suggested that Obama’s intervention had backfired and that politicians should not meddle in another country’s affairs.

3000.jpg

“I shall always be grateful, eternally grateful to Obama because he came to our country, he was rude to us, he told us what we should do and he led to a big Brexit bounce of several points,” the leading Brexit advocate said. “So thank you, Obama, for helping us to win this referendum.

“The moral of the story is I shan’t say at the end of this week who I think you should vote for, although I have to say, I wouldn’t vote for Hillary if you paid me. Her sense of entitlement kind of puts me off.”

R

Rinko

He isn't wrong. Obama's somewhat veiled 'threat' probably pushed a lot of voters towards leaving simply because they dislike the way America does things.

Top Bottom