Facebook Will Force Advertising on Ad-Blocking Users

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"Facebook is going to start forcing ads to appear for all users of its desktop website, even if they use ad-blocking software.

The social network said on Tuesday that it will change the way advertising is loaded into its desktop website to make its ad units considerably more difficult for ad blockers to detect.

“Facebook is ad-supported. Ads are a part of the Facebook experience; they’re not a tack on,” said Andrew “Boz” Bosworth, Facebook’s vice president of engineering for advertising and pages.

User adoption of ad-blocking software has grown rapidly in recent years, particularly outside of the U.S. According to estimates by online advertising trade body the Interactive Advertising Bureau, 26% of U.S. internet users now use ad blockers on their desktop devices. Facebook declined to comment when asked on what portion of its desktop users have ad-blocking software installed.

Facebook’s change will open up more online ad space for it to sell, although Mr. Bosworth said that wasn’t the motivation for the move. Facebook now garners 84% of its advertising revenue from mobile devices, which are less susceptible to ad blocking than desktop devices.

“This isn’t motivated by inventory; it’s not an opportunity for Facebook from that perspective,” Mr. Bosworth said. “We’re doing it more for the principle of the thing. We want to help lead the discussion on this.”

Full article

Thoughts?

APS

Unarmed
Simple,once ads appear on mine,Facebook will go in the Bin :)

Last edited:

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
If FB keeps it up, it will be displayed right next to MySpace in the Hall of Failed Internet Services. It was the endless tinkering and forcing out of 'improvements' that opened the door for Facebook to become what it is now when MySpace was THE Social Networking Site.

Oh, and then there is the more recent example of Yahoo's better ideas as well.

DrLeftover

(quote)
Facebook is making the HTML of its web ads indistinguishable from organic content so it can slip by adblockers. But in exchange for taking away this option for controlling ads from people, its allowing them to opt-out of ad targeting categories and Custom Audience customer lists uploaded by advertisers. Today all desktop users will see an announcement atop the News Feed explaining that while web adblockers may no longer work, they can visit their Ad Preferences settings to block ads from particular businesses.
(end quote)
More:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/09/f...b-adblockers-but-offer-ad-targeting-opt-outs/

C

Chimera

Facebook has really gone downhill and seems to just be getting worse each day, I reached the stage where I was just not enjoying it anymore. The art of conversation was lost some time back and now it has become completely frivolous and not worth the effort.

DrLeftover

I'm not glued to the thing like some ADULTS I know, and there have been runs of several days in a row where not only did I not post anything, I may have forgotten to even log in and check for messages from my brother and other family.

But, in doing so, I get to see a lot of the detritus that shows up, unbidden, in my timeline without other filtration.

For instance, I "follow" exactly ONE product manufacturer on FB. (Wild Turkey, wouldn't you know?). I don't "like" products, TV shows, movies, celebrities, funny cats, or much of anything else. And most of my "Friends" are actually real people that I know in real life and may actually consider a friend, or former co-worker, etc.

And I pay attention to the really odd crap and details that other people pass over on their way to see the dancing penguin video.

A month or so ago, I logged onto my account after missing an entire weekend on the thing, and found FIVE different "Sponsored Posts" at the top of my timeline. One of which was for a product whose customer base is probably 'five nines' Women. How in the hell did FB's algorithms decide that I needed to see that one? Another was from a celebrity who was pushing some TV show that has probably already been canceled.

As the service becomes more commercially oriented and ad driven, many of the 'hipper' users will being looking for "the next big thing", and once they find it, FB's user numbers will rapidly decline. Which means, their ad revenues will drop, so to make up for it, they'll push out even more ads, which will push out more users, and so on.

Kinda like what happened to Yahoo.

APS

Unarmed
I use Ad Block plus and also Facebook purity.
I don't have anything I don't want on FB at mo.

DrLeftover

Probably because you haven't liked anything. In their place I'd just try throwing the most popular stuff at you, see what sticks *shrug*

So I can look forward to more of the same.

Thanks for the heads up there Evil.

Top Bottom