Elderly man could be charged with criminal damage for cutting the grass

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"An elderly man could be charged with criminal damage for cutting the grass outside his home.

Robert Wall, 71, has mowed the strip of council-owned grass outside his home in Essex without fail for the last four years.

And in the summer, he gets his mower out twice a week to keep the lawn trim and make his neighbourhood look clean and green.

But he’s now been told by council bosses that he faces going to court if he doesn’t stop straight away.

Robert, who lives in Rainham, said: ‘It’s totally over the top to take people to court when all they’ve done is go out and try to tidy up the area they live in.

‘But now I’m being threatened because of the work that I’m putting in helping to keep this area smart and up to scratch – it’s absolutely ridiculous.

‘Obviously I don’t want to go to court but this is totally wrong. And I definitely don’t want a criminal record for something as silly as this.’

A Havering Council spokesman said: ‘Mr Wall does a great job of cutting the grass and it’s appreciated.’

But he added: ‘However, he had to be made aware that a few of his actions combined could be seen as criminal damage. Cutting the grass on council land was not considered in isolation.’"

Source

Thoughts?

beowulf

what a stupid state of affairs! should say thankyou to him for doing their job!!

Bluezone777

I liked how the article alludes to a long series of events in which the grass cutting was one of them that brought upon this charge but fails to say what any of that is. I think if we knew that bit then our perception of the government's reaction would be different then it is now.

APS

Unarmed
Only other thing they actually mention is painting fence posts.
Serious touch of Jobsworth by someone in council :)

D

DaveM

Now our side it is the other way round and you can get into trouble for not keeping the grass outside your property clean and cut. The only thing they will do is look after the trees growing on the street side.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
If he is charged he should enter a not guilty plea and watch them all look at each other thinking we can't go to trial with this. Play them at their own game.

Top Bottom