• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Dutch Grand Prix Set To Return To F1 Calendar For First Time Since 1985

Webster

NBC Sports: Dutch Grand Prix On F1 Slate For First Time Since 1985

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch Grand Prix will return to the Formula One calendar next year for the first time since 1985.

The Zandvoort track on the Dutch coast, which hosted 30 F1 races from 1952-85, will be rebuilt in the coming months to host the race.

It’s not clear when the race would slot into the already packed calendar, which also has a new race in Vietnam confirmed for 2020, but F1 organizers said Zandvoort will host races until at least 2022.

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen, who is Dutch, is in third place in the F1 standings and has a large and devoted fan base in the Netherlands.

“With the popularity of Max Verstappen I’m sure there will be a huge number of fans in attendance,” FIA president Jean Todt said. “There is now a lot of preparation needed to bring the circuit up to the required safety standards to host a Formula One race.”

The last driver to win an F1 race at the Zandvoort track was Niki Lauda, then a driver for McLaren and now the non-executive chairman of the Mercedes team.
*looks around* @Kaunisto, thoughts on the above?

Kaunisto

I'm worried about which races will be dropped. Silverstone, Spa, Monza? They are saying they'll stay in 21 GP calendar, so something has to go. Barcelona is very much at risk, and Hockenheim.

I'm not very familiar with Zandvoort. It was for a moment in the North European Zone F4 series that had Finnish drivers, team and races until for this year it was made fully Russian and lost FIA license.

In other track news, Brazil is building a new one in Rio to replace Interlagos in F1.

Webster

Zandvoort Circuit

Its' located along the North Sea coast of the Netherlands near Zandvoort and hosted F1 until 1985; at present, its' hosts F1 feeder series and DTM races but because of NIMBYesque noise restrictions ( :mad: ) hasn't hosted a top-level single-seater series (the aforementioned F1). The old circuit above is in white; the current circuit is outlined in black.

Webster

I'm worried about which races will be dropped. Silverstone, Spa, Monza? They are saying they'll stay in 21 GP calendar, so something has to go. Barcelona is very much at risk, and Hockenheim.
It wouldn't surprise me if one of those five get dropped for some Tilke-esque circuit that's so sterile and devoid of feeling that you could perform major open-heart surgery on the track and not worry about infection control (like, for instance, Shanghai and Bahrain and Yas Marina, etc.,etc.,etc.,)
In other track news, Brazil is building a new one in Rio to replace Interlagos in F1.
Figures; about the only reason they're doing it is so that they can keep F1 in Brazil. Of course, if F1 leaves Interlagos I could see another top-level single-seater series (*cough* Indycar! *cough*) come down (and given the constant presence of Brazilian drivers in the series, you better believe the Brickyard's watching this) take over there.

Top Bottom