Drinking Age

Jazzy

Forum Admin
drinking-age-210x210.jpg
All 50 US states have set their minimum drinking age to 21 although exceptions do exist on a state-by-state basis for consumption at home, under adult supervision, for medical necessity, and other reasons.

Proponents of lowering the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) from 21 argue that it has not stopped teen drinking, and has instead pushed underage binge drinking into private and less controlled environments, leading to more health and life-endangering behavior by teens.

Opponents of lowering the MLDA argue that teens have not yet reached an age where they can handle alcohol responsibly, and thus are more likely to harm or even kill themselves and others by drinking prior to 21.

Debate Question: Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered from 21 to a Younger Age? (Why/Why Not)

Worldwide

21 is rediculous .. You can be mature enough to vote at 18 but not be able to have a beer?

T

Tyler

You can drink alcohol at the age of 19 in Canada. But I had drinks when I was around 17, I was fine.

Bluezone777

So they are essentially arguing that you are responsible enough to sign up for the army, smoke cigarettes, drive, have consensual sex and vote in elections yet somehow drinking a beer responsibly is just too taxing on the mind for an 18 year old. I never really got the logic in having the drinking age be 21 while so many other things has a legal age limit of 18 in the US.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
The Age for Selective Service Induction into the Military in Time of National Emergency (the Draft) is 18.

If you're old enough to be chosen to die for your country, explain to me why you can't have a beer before you go.

154281-63a7f67be3ed50153b009f43cae64cf1.jpg

--

Webster

So they are essentially arguing that you are responsible enough to sign up for the army, smoke cigarettes, drive, have consensual sex and vote in elections yet somehow drinking a beer responsibly is just too taxing on the mind for an 18 year old. I never really got the logic in having the drinking age be 21 while so many other things has a legal age limit of 18 in the US.
The Age for Selective Service Induction into the Military in Time of National Emergency (the Draft) is 18.

If you're old enough to be chosen to die for your country, explain to me why you can't have a beer before you go.

154281-63a7f67be3ed50153b009f43cae64cf1.jpg
--
^ ^ ^
What they both said.

D

DaveM

We have always been at 18 years old but once again even that did not stop anyone younger from drinking.

Top Bottom