DotA 2: The International 10

Kaunisto

After being cancelled last year, the biggest professional gaming event (by price money) is back.

Anyone following?

MOBAs aren't exactly my area of expertise, DotA 2 not much more than any other, but knowing that they're playing for millions of dollars - and couple Finns being in there - gets my interest.
The tournament ends at sunday, I think there's 12 teams left currently. I'm still (having followed esports some for few years) having hard time following double elimination tournament format, as I'm not used to that in anything else.
Winner get about $18 million, second $5 million, down from there at least a million to 8th place.
The two Finns are both former champions, Matumbaman in Team Secret and Topson in OG. Their teams unfortunately had to face in first round of upper bracket, but maybe they'll still both make it to final.

the official Twitch channel

Kaunisto

5 players plus coach and organization taking half of it, plus expenses... but still leaves pretty numbers.

The International has been played since 2011, every year except 2020.

Just starting a game of OG, the only two-time TI champion team, with three players (including Finn Topson) who are also only two-time TI winners.

Kaunisto

Team Secret is in upper bracket final - I believe that means in top 3?
OG plays tomorrow for place in top 6.

Kaunisto

There's 5 players plus coach/spare.
For one or other reason, DotA team seem to be more international (no pun intended) than for example in Counter-Strike, where more teams are from on country or two neighboring ones. Although there are few all Chinese DotA teams.
Team Secret has aside the Finn a Swede and an Estonian, but others are from Poland and Jordan (with Korean coach).
Other OG players are from Denmark, France, Macedonia and Pakistan (Russian coach). OG is the big Red Bull sponsored organization in various esports.

Kaunisto

PSG.LGD just made it to upper bracket final and they've been strongest in this tournament so far.
LGD is a Chinese team, cooperating with/sponsored by Paris Saint-Germain, the football team that recently acquired Lionel Messi. (One of the most notable examples of traditional sports clubs expanding to esports.)
They lost 2018 final to OG.
I'm hoping one of the teams with Finns could take the title (especially third win to Topson and OG would be historical), but I fear PSG.LGD is finally winning the International, having previously taken silver, 2 bronzes, a 4th and a 5-6th.

Kaunisto

Champions fall, OG is out at 7-8th.

Now there's Team Secret and PSG.LGD as two medalists and third being decided between four teams that include one former champion, Invictus Gaming (2012/TI 2 winners).

Kaunisto

Three teams left:

PSG.LGD is in final; the Chinese team has two players who won championship 2016 in another team

Team Secret lost upper bracket final and needs to go for rematch in final; Secret also has two former champions, Finnish Matumbaman (2017) and Estonian legend Puppey, winner of the very first TI 2011 and the only player who has participated all ten The International tournaments

Team Spirit is the Cinderella story of the tournament, the Russian-Ukrainian team is the only team except reigning champion OG in top 8 that didn't get in TI 10 by ranking (12 of 18 teams did) but had to come through open qualifying - and now they're in top 3 after beating OG and another former champion Invictus

None of these has previously won The International, the so called DotA 2 World Championship will go to a new team.

Kaunisto

Worthy final day for The International 10.

In lower bracket final Secret took first round against Spirit, but the other two rounds went to the miracle team. So, sadly no Finn to final.

In the best-of-5 grand final the great underdog Team Spirit wins first two rounds clearly, is on their way to complete the Cinderella story. But then PSG.LGD comes back with vengeance, slowly torturing third round and in fourth slaughtering Spirit about as bad as anyone in any game of the tournament.
After that it seemed obvious Spirit had been broken and the last round started ominously with LGD leading much like in third round. But one right move to steal a decisive advantage pulls Team Spirit back to even up the thriller and push past. And they kept going all the way to championship.

Team Spirit was first East European team in TI final since 2013 and is first winner from the area since NaVi won the first TI 2011.
They won in playoffs two former champion teams (including the only double champion) and total of 7 former champion players.
This was first The International Team spirit qualified to, having narrowly failed to do so in several previous years.
The price money is tens of times the amount Team Spirit has won in all previous tournaments they have played along over 5 years.

PSG.LGD has placed in top 4 in TI six times, more than any other team. Yet they still haven't won the tournament.
There's 9 teams that have won the championship, 5 who have been second at best and 4 that have bronze, of which Team Secret is only one to also have a 4th. So can't be too sorry for Team Secret, third being the teams best result in TI, making them 15th best team ever - not to mention earning over 3 million dollars.

Top Bottom